teach them to seperate from feelings

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Iwillbebetter

teach them to seperate from feelings

Post by Iwillbebetter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:15 am

Well I am starting to realize we are not our feelings and our feelings are not us!! I have always been one to beleive I am my feeling. I let my feeling control my actions!! I am learning this is not the way to do things anymore. As I learn these things I try to find a way to incorperate them into my kids so they don't have to grow up and re-teach themselves as I am :) So I have started a new thing with them, to help them realize they are not their feelings!!
My youngest often tells me "I'm sad" or "I'm mad" etc... So I have started telling him, no you're not sad, your Brodie, but you are feeling sad... then we will talk about it for a moment, and I will then make him "reach inside" and throw it away!! Sometime he can grab at his belly or head or where ever once or twice and he's good, other times it's a little more, so I will help (I tend to add a little tickle when I'm pulling the sad/mad etc out) I make them keep grabbing at it until they have smiles on their faces!! I was AMAZED how well this worked the first time I tried!! :) :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

Dixiesmom

Re: teach them to seperate from feelings

Post by Dixiesmom » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:49 pm

That's a really good one! You really have some great ideas! Keep them coming.... :D

Iwillbebetter

Re: teach them to seperate from feelings

Post by Iwillbebetter » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:35 am

Thank you :) I will certianly post any idea's I think of as far as working with our kids and teaching them the things we are also trying to teach ourselves!! It is so important to "break the chains" with our children!! :) :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

Return to “Parent to Parent”