how to allow my kids to be kids when we are losing everthing

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
jess1

Post by jess1 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:24 pm

so guess what?! One day I woke up and everything I've read about came true and affected my family. What to do now? My husband went from getting a raise and promotion and in less than a month losing his job completely. Our mortgage compamy is out for us, It's real easy for me to just say screw it all and stay in bed. But something happened when i look at the kids. They have no idea everything is gone down the crap shoot they just love their mom and dad!! It makes me jealous. But it also makes me remember that all of our parents went through the ringer at one point and as far as i know i was a happy child. Watching everything being auctioned off in your front yard is never good and i dont recomend it. But i'm trying to see the rainbow i just dont know where we will sleep.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:19 am

What you are going through is definitely tough, but what matters most is that you and your husband love each other and your children. My parents did end up doing a horrible job, and I had a horrible childhood, and my dad always thought that not having enough money was the problem. He was so wrong. It was actually the last thing on the list.

I remember one time when my parents were getting along, but we were extremely poor. We were living in a house without electricity and water. I remember my sister and I eating our cereal on cardboard boxes that we used for tables, and we thought it was awesome:)! I remember that we would run through the empty rooms of the house and use our imaginations to fill the rooms. I remember my dad having to get a bucket of water from somewhere else to fill the bath tub. We just thought it was fun, and as long as my parents loved each other, we didn't have a care in the world.

My husband and I also experienced homelessness because of a family situation 9 years ago. Within a month of being homeless, our only son was diagnosed with severe autism. We seemed to learn differently then my parents did though-that money wasn't the determining factor for family stability, etc. I don't want to go through that again, but we did learn how to be happy on less, not get into credit card debt, not get a mortgage that would tie us down and cause us stress, etc. So, I know it is tough right now, and I'll pray that you get out of this as soon as possible, but you are right about your children and good can come from this. My husband and I have been married for 13 years now:).

Take care,
luvpiggy

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:40 am

That is an absolutely fantastic story of hope and inspiration! Listen to luvpiggy....I know its hard to see our "things" go and learn to live a new lifestyle but you can and will do this. We have also been hit by the economic crisis and its taught me just how much I used to just do for the sake of doing or have for the sake of having. We have settled our credit cards and I got a 54,000$ credit balance down to 15,000$ borrow some money from a relative and paid them off and cut them up. We are now living on our money not our credit.

Its not easy not one bit. But Im learning that its much better and healthier for us. I am working on trying to get a mortgage modification and its taking forever but I am hopefull it will come through...so my point is we can choose to sit back and cry over what we are loosing or stand up and fight for a new life! I say stand up and fight for a better way!

You can do this.
Love to you and your family.
Dodger

Return to “Parent to Parent”