How do you relax with children

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
mramirez10

How do you relax with children

Post by mramirez10 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Any ideas on how to fit in 3 relaxation sessions with small children and a baby? It causes me stress just thinking of trying to fit it in. Do you think it's o.k. to hold the baby while doing it?

tbabystroup

Re: How do you relax with children

Post by tbabystroup » Mon May 09, 2011 2:35 pm

before i had children of my own i would have said to do it while they nap and at bedtime... hahahaha like i said that was before i had kids! i actually set an alarm to get me up 40 minutes before my earliest riser so i can practice the relaxation... and i have found that if i bust out a special toy (playdough) for my 4 yr old she will play quietly in her room while her brother is sleeping (not always the full 30 minutes, but enough to get some me time!)... i rarely find the energy once i get them to sleep to practice though because i am so tired that i either crawl into bed and sleep, or fall alseep listening to the practice cd!! :) as for holding the baby... i say give it a shot!! my child was so attached to me that everyone started calling him booby-boy because that was the only place he wanted to be (nursing or just cuddled there)... and i'm pretty sure if i had been practicing my relaxing back then he would have contentedly cuddled inside his baby sling for the duration without so much as a peep! (( If you don't have a baby sling i highly recommend one, they allow your baby to be held as much as they want and for you to still be able to have 2 hands to do whatever you want to do. https://www.mayawrap.com/ they range from $20-90 depending on the site you go to))
a final thought... even though the program says 3 times a day... if i get in 1 full 30 minutes a day i tell myself what a good job i'm doing and keep plugging along with the program!!! Good Luck !!!
~theresa~
**Beautiful pictures are developed from negatives in a dark room. so if you see darkness in your life, be reassured that a beautiful picture is being developed!!**

TemperAnxietyStress

Post by TemperAnxietyStress » Mon May 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Just adding to tbabystroup's comment, I started out on one relaxation CD time per day and am actually trying to work my way up! :lol: My daughter does have an hour in her room (whether she's napping or not, she has to stay there for an hour) and so I get my workbook and sessions done as well as the video so I usually take the relaxation CD time right before bed. And yeah, I almost fell asleep listening to the cd last night. :) I say,if you can get it in once a day, pat yourself on the back. If you can get it in more than once, cool but don't let the idea of getting relaxation cd done three times a day stress you out. :lol:

mramirez10

Post by mramirez10 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Thank You for the thoughts. I will not beat my self up anymore if I don't get 3 sessions in. Which is almost never. I too fall asleep with the relaxation cd. I figure that's what it's supposed to help me do too.

Return to “Parent to Parent”