17 weeks pregnant and heart is racing all day

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Anxious Jenny

17 weeks pregnant and heart is racing all day

Post by Anxious Jenny » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 am

Hi! I am 17 weeks pregnant with my first baby and for the past 5 days I've been very aware of my heartbeat. It's been beating fast and hard all day and is scaring me to death. I even wake up with it. I have suffered from General Anxiety Disorder for the past 3 years and was taking xanax (no more then 1 mg per day) and have stopped because of pregnancy. I have had these heart symptoms before but now it seems more constant. It scares me so much! Could I have a heart problem? I was checked by a cardiologist 2 years ago (echocardiogram, stress test, EKG's, 24-hour halter monitor) and all came out great other then just a fast heartbeat at times. Do you think I should go back to get tested again, just in case something has changed? Could this pregnancy cause heart problems? I'm 30 years old and weigh 132lbs at 5'10". I'm not much of an exerciser and always have great blood pressure and cholesterol readings. I don't know! It must be my anxiety but it's still terrifying. Has anyone else experienced this while pregnant? I just need some reassurance or advice on whether I should see the cardiologist for the same tests again? Sorry I just rambled on. I just wish I could just enjoy this pregnancy! :(

tbabystroup

Re: 17 weeks pregnant and heart is racing all day

Post by tbabystroup » Mon May 09, 2011 1:49 pm

first off congratulations! When you are pregnant your body does create more blood and your heart does work harder to pump it, which is part of the reason for lightheaded feelings and fatigue in pregnancy! If you are sensitive to your body then it is very possible you have noticed this change and that it made you anxious which we know raises our heart rate! Pregnancy does all sorts of strange things to our bodies and i used to run to my copy of What to Expect When You're Expecting to make sure things were normal... and i practically drove myself nuts!!! may i suggest that if your ob is not concerned then you probably shouldn't be either. I used to busy my mind by reading books on parenting, novels, mysteries anything NON medical or pregnancy... or i'd spend hours researching baby products, browsing parenting websites, making scrapbooks, and i even learned to sew so i could make a baby quilt... and it would distract my mind and allow me to calm down and not focus on that one weird feeling that was making my anxiety rise. also to note, if your body has been used to xanax to keep it calm, it is normal for a rise in anxiety after stopping the medication both because your body is in with-drawl from the meds and because your mind doesn't have its crutch to keep it calm! So talk to your dr. and then distract your mind and work on your positive self talk... and try to enjoy the quiet moments in life...because soon quiet will be a foreign concept to you!!! Good Luck with your pregnancy and your anxiety!!
~theresa~
**Beautiful pictures are developed from negatives in a dark room. so if you see darkness in your life, be reassured that a beautiful picture is being developed!!**

Return to “Parent to Parent”