Stay at home mom going back to work full time

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
shello

Post by shello » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:50 am

I became a stay-at-home mom about 6 years ago. My anxiety attacks started 5 years ago. Well- I went back to school and got my RN and have been working a PRN job where you make your own hours and only work 3 days a week for 3 to 6 hours a day. It is perfect for someone with anxiety. I would never even have thought about leaving but...
My husband lost his job on July 7th and I started applying for jobs myself. It has always been my dream to be a school nurse. I am now offered a position as a full time school nurse. I am scared that my anxiety will get in the way. I want the job but what I am so scared of is failure. Failure based on anxiety attacks. I have not had an anxiety attack since nursing school which ended 12/2009. I have had a few issues with nerves but nothing I couldn't get through. I also know that a lot of this is normal anxiety that any stay at home mom would have when going back to work. Any advice and tips would be helpful! I start work August 5th.
Anyone know how long it takes on the job for the anxiety to dwindle?
How do I get through the day if I have an anxiety attack at work?
"Remember, when the world pushes you to your knees you are in the perfect position to pray."

shello

Post by shello » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:23 pm

okay maybe I am paranoid but how come no one ever responds to my posts?
"Remember, when the world pushes you to your knees you are in the perfect position to pray."

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:33 am

it is the thoughts that are creating the anxiety and if you can keep it from going into panic that is done thru self talk acceptance letting time pass and getting busy start doing math in your head like 1+1=2 2+2=4 any thing that will break your thought pattern also singing a song all this you do in your thoughts now out loud LOL really this is a golden oportunity don't mess it up it is only anxiety all people have some anxiety we have just labeled ourself as different we are senstive we can build on these things look at this as a plus not a negative and keeping your thoughts on good this positive things will help congratilations on your new job enjoy

kristenlbaker

Post by kristenlbaker » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:32 pm

Shello, I understand exactly what you are gpoing through and it is very normal. Even if you didn't have any anxieties you would by starting a new job. One thing I can tell you is that a lot of what you are feeling may also be excitement, very similar sensations. The first few days or weeks may be more anxiety producing, but that is only if you allow it to be. So much of anxiety is about how one reacts to it, feeds it. You will not failure, you cannot fail if you are trying. Changing your thoughts surrounding this is the best thing that you can do. Affirmations are great, but you ahve to believe them, that is the hard part. Write out a pros and cons list for yourself. If this is something you have always wanted to do, you will surely find it within you to believe you can do it. There is nothing that is standing in your way but yourself. Everyone has anxiety in their lives whether you know it or not, some people you would never expect, it is okay as long as you do not give it power. you are doing a great service for the kids of the school, it is a good thing, just believe in yourself!
Kristen L. Baker, M.L.C.,M.S.L.C.,Wellness Coach

izzy/morgan

Post by izzy/morgan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:41 pm

Shello,
I completely understand !!! I was a stay- t - home for 14 years and am also an RN . I startd having anxiety 3 yrs ago after a family crisis. I returned to work PRN 2 yrs ago and it was difficult . I know work 4 days a week 6-7 hrs a day . I still get a little anxious at meetings and when I try new things , but I have slowly adjusted.
Going back to work has been really good for me.

AnneC

Post by AnneC » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:37 pm

I never got to be a stay at home mom when my dhildren were young. But I have to say that my depression seems so much worse now that I don't work. Having a consistent schedle and working with children all day didn't seem to allow any time for anxiety or depression to leak in to my mind.

flowerempowered

Post by flowerempowered » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi Shello,
I am wondering how your job is coming along now that you've been there a while. I feel for you. I work for my sister and brother in law and have for many years. I let my anxiety constantly tell myself no one but my family would keep my hired. That nonsense thought held me prisoner. Consequently, my to do list for work would be so long I would wear myself out. On the one hand I wanted to prove I was the best employee ever, and I wanted to be because I loved my family. But that Big negative voice inside said haha you didn't finish your list, you bad employee! I had to stop and breathe and give myself a break. I an learning to encourage myself with kind words and one task at a time at work. Life is better now. By the way I am really impressed you are a nurse. I took a medical terminology course a few years ago and studied constantly to learn the info. You are certainly no failure.

*slimjim

Post by *slimjim » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:30 am

Greetings one and all. This is an update on my life thus far. Since graduating the the program program some years ago, I've gone through a Wellness Program of 10 weeks long. That's helped me realize how badly my diet was and helped me to fix it.One of the steps to fix was to stop drinking so many soda a day, like 5 to ten a day. Now I've lost 30 lbs. and I'm down from a 38 waist to 32.

As far as my Small Business is doing I've recently gone through a Business Planning Class which has allowed me to create a business plan on one of my idea's called WED-TOONS With these I can capture the images of any future newlywed couple in a fantasy SNAP-SHOT graphically and then once laminated it can then be placed on the summit of their wedding cake and exposed to their entourage at their reception party. So as far as those of you out there coming up with every excuse under the sun telling yourselves that this program won't change you for the better.

I say HA! This program has litterally given me back my life for the better or better yet it has given me a CHANCE FOR A BETTER LIFE! Oh, me and some friends of mine are hopefully going to set up a website to show off some more of my art like my incredible comic strip of MADAME X INCORPORATED]. So once this is completed I'll be sure to pass on the link to all of you.

So to conclude. Once more the the program has proformed miracles in my life and given the chance at living a decent and wholesome life and I believe it could do the same for all of you.
Oh, and this December 1st I'm turning 52 and I just LOVE MY LIFE AND WHERE IT'S GOING NOW!!!So just know that whatever your suffering with they're those of us whose gone through the program that had them too. Notice I said "HAD".
Thanx you The Mid-West Center SSSooooo much.

shello

Post by shello » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:19 am

Update... I am in month 4 of my job. Everything has went great as far as my anxiety. I have been sick a lot but they say that is to be expected the first year in a school.
For some reason my anxiety flared up really bad last night. I say for some reason, but honestly yesterday I decided to be lazy and stay in bed all day. So what did I do- lay in bed and think. It was a bad decision. I know better than that. I have obsessive thinking and shouldn't have opened that up again. Anyway- I had an anxiety attack last night. I think it all hit me, my husband losing his job him becoming the stay at home parent and doing a much better job than I did. I let my anxiety rule over me when I was at home.
I think work has been the best thing for me because I can't sit at home and think all day. At work I do have some struggles at times but I have not had to leave work do to my anxiety. I have made it through so far!!!
What I have been sabotaging myself with lately is how long can I do it. When will the other shoe drop. When will I not be able to make it through the day. When is it going to catch up with me. You know all of those self defeting thoughts that I have got to stop thinking!!!!

Return to “Parent to Parent”