Help from Xanax (Alprazolam) Users

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Anxious Jenny

Post by Anxious Jenny » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:50 am

Hello, I take .625mg per day (broken up into 5 doses of .125mg per day) of alprazolam for the past 2 years and 4 months. I want to get off of it so I can have children. I want children SO bad! I'm so scared of the possible withdrawal symptoms (seizures especially). I do see a psychologist who specializes in EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) and have had countless health tests in fear I've had every terrifying disease and of course they all came back that I am a healthy 30 year old girl. Has anyone had any experience with getting off xanax after this long? And does anyone maybe know of an alternative safe medication to take while pregnant for anxiety besides antidepressants?

Dominick

Post by Dominick » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:46 am

I was on xanax for 2 years at 4mg per day. When it came time for me to come off the med my doctor weaned me off slowly. I went from 4mg per day for 1 week then 3mg per day for one week then 2mg, then 1mg then .50mg then .25mg , then stop.

I didn't have any withdrawals during that time period but it can be different for other people.

Virginia girl

Post by Virginia girl » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:54 pm

I know Zoloft is an antidepressant but I did take it towards the end of my pregnancy. Those with anxiety disorders (like me:) are at a higher risk of post-partum depression. In me, it started before my son was born so I went on Zoloft and it was a lifesaver- truly. I stayed on it after he was born. I don't know how I could have gotten through my pregnancy without it.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"

lucy knepp

Re: Help from Xanax (Alprazolam) Users

Post by lucy knepp » Tue May 15, 2012 10:38 pm

I took Celexa an antidepressant and weened off it after 2 years. The program is helping but sometimes I feel I need to go back on. I am trying to stay off and go the natural route. The xanax is useful for that severe anxiety that sometimes comes and you just gotta have a half a pill or maybe a whole one. My aunt used to say everything in moderation. Of course if you are prescribed a med that you need. Take it...by all means. Follow your doctor.
Lucy

sara78

Re: Help from Xanax (Alprazolam) Users

Post by sara78 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:57 pm

I've heard that you have to be weaned off SLOWLY. Don't try to do it yourself!

Return to “Parent to Parent”