Leaving children for weekend- Need support

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
lilpearl9

Post by lilpearl9 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:47 am

Ok, here's my story. I haven't had a panic attack in 4 years, and had considered myself over this after completing the program back then. But, I had a mild attack 2 weeks ago, now having depression and general anxiety over it. My husband and I are going on a 4 day vacation this weekend and leaving our 2 children behind. I am nervous about leaving them, I'v never done this yet. They are 3 and 11 months. I'm starting to "what if" this and that about them and I'm 8 hours away. Is this normal? Has anyone had this? Separation anxiety perhaps? Just need some advice or support to get through it. I don't want to go now, b/c I'm worried I'm going to panic while away and have a worthless time.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:59 am

lil....yes this is totally normal and no wonder your anxiety has come back this is a huge step for a Mom to take....Giving up that control we so desperately live our lives by with our kids is hard.

I know its hard to leave but its good for you and them as well....they will be fine and you will enjoy the time away...the first few hours are the hardest. But once you get where your going and you settle in youll feel so much better....youll start to enjoy the peace and quiet and its ok to do that.

Your not a bad Mom for giving to you a little bit. You can always call them often to check on them and talk to them and you can bring them back some goodies from the stops you make. they are young so it doesnt have to be much a sucker from the gas station, a pair of sunglasses from the cute little shop next to the food stop.....
And think how happy they will be when you come back home. Oh the things youll have to tell them and the things they will want to tell you.

Breaks from our kids are essential dont beat yourself up that you get to have this luxury...it doesnt make you a bad Mom on the contrary it keeps you healthy in your spirit.

And for the what ifs....well what if they have a blast with whoever they are staying with....what if you and hubby have the best time youve had in a long time and what if when you all reunite life is so great!

Think about them what ifs.
Enjoy your vacation.
Dodger
(and yes Im a Mom and Ive been in your shoes)
;)

penu

Post by penu » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Hi,
It is normal to worry about your kids while you are gone. My husband and I just flew 2500 miles away for an interview this past weekend and we were also gone for 4 days. We took our 20 month old only because she still nurses some, but left our 4 and 7 year old with my parents. I called about 4-5 times per day to say good morning and good night, ect...
The kids did great, were happy, ect. I'm sure that your kids will be staying with someone that you trust, let them know that you are anxious and that you will be calling often to check on them.
Enjoy your trip!!!

Return to “Parent to Parent”