Could I have passed this on to my child????

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Mom of 6

Post by Mom of 6 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:25 am

Hi Valwufl, thanks so much for being so considerate. I am hoping to receive them soon. As I reply I am also listening to online testimonies of those whom this program has freed. I cannot wait to start!
Again, thank you for sharing and I will try to be more conscious of my little gal when my moods get the best of me.
"O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you;my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is BETTER than life,my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalms 63

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:45 pm

I am almost certain that it is possible to pass on the anxiety and depression to our children. They grow up seeing certain behaviors and responses. They learn a lot from their parents and what goes on at home. Their environment has a tremendous effect on them. I have three children and they all have some form of anxiety and depression. I can't say that one is worse than the others, but they each show their anxiety in different ways. I am sure that I got some of my anxiety/depression problems from my parents. My mom is the biggest worrier there is. It took a lot for me to change my way of thinking to get away from worrying.

For my children, I try, now to show them a different way to live and give them responses that would help them see a different point of view from and anxious one.

Take care.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:41 am

Very bummed this morning. I spoke with my mother about wanting a divorce, ordering the CD's and starting the program. I acknowledged that i have a problem with negative thinking, anxiety, depression and stress. After saying all that, she tells me "just think positive". Like it's so freakin' easy! ARRRRG! I get so mad when she says stuff like that. AND she doesn't even realize that she was the VERY first NEGATIVE influence in my life!!! I don't want to blame her for it, she was doind the best she could, trying to help me in life, but yet passing on many of her fears and reactions to situations. It really ticks me off when she can't even see how much of a negative influence she herself was! And now she has the nerve to say, "perk up" when I'm down, or "just think positive" when I'm dealing with an unhappy marriage? I feel like a failure. Like this program is NEVER going to help ME! Thanks to that reaction of hers I now feel like I don't even want to OPEN the package once it arrives!
How do you all cope with people giving you advice when they don't even realize themselves how negative they are? Or just people who know nothing about what WE go through each and everyday! I am really hopeless today...

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:42 am

BetPon,
Im so sorry your mother doesnt realize what you are going through. Most family members dont, unless they have been through it. They dont understand, its not just having a bad day, its constant.
The only one who really tried was my husband to understand. My family knew,, but i never discussed it with them because, like you, i didnt want to hear the "Just Get Over It".
This Program will help you immensely.. It has Me. It touches on every aspect of your life.. Thinking, Health, Diet, excercise, Expectations, etc.. Try to stay away from negative people if you can. Now thats not to say , dont talk to your mother,, just maybe dont try to make her understand, because, you probably wont do that.
I wish you the BEST,,, Nelly:)

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:51 am

Hi Nelli,
Thanks so much for that! Sometimes I feel, and I'm sure everyone going through it, feels that they are so alone in dealing with this problem. But I'll take your words to heart and will try to follow the program to a T.
Hugs!!! :)

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:28 am

Your daughter's behaviors sound very normal for a six year old. I have a five year old girl and a six 1/2 boy. Both ask questions about illness they have heard of and if you can die from them. This is an age where they start realizing that death exists and they want some answers.

As for the floor, I would rather put my foot on a nice cozy bath rug and carpet, than cold tile. Just a preference thing from my point of view.

I do understand about issues of heredity. I am BP and worry about my children ALOT. But I also try to temper my concerns with the fact that they are two healthy happy kids. If they end up with a condition, we will deal with it.

Anxiety can really do a number on you.

Take care.
Lisa

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:18 am

Hi all.. I do believe that we pass the traits on to our children... and I believe that some things are learned and other are genetic... my grandmother had anxiety and she even had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized twice for it! My aunt also had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized for it... my other aunt turned to drugs and alcohol... and my mother sufferred with anxiety also... she is the one who told me about this program.. although she never has gone through it... she helped herself get over it...she told me that in her 30's she was ccertain that she was going to die young if she kept up the anxious behavior..so she told herself that she would not allow it any more and developed her own way of dealing with it...she says she does not get panic attakcs any more.. but she never let her panic attacks stop her.... she just recently told me about an incident that when she was in Germany on business.. she had a bad panic attack and she was all alone in a strange country and she just dealt with it, by having a cup of tea and going to the lobby of the hotel and talking with some people... and then it passed... the girls in my family are all going to NYC next weeknd for a girls weekend...and I am a little anxious about it because it is an hour and 1/2 away from home... but I am going no matter what and I know that my mom will be here to support me...anyway...I think that we can break the cylce hopefully with this program....
Last edited by Jessica1787 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:34 am

I would like to pass down some good advice that was send to two day a go.

Jackie remember you control how you feel. If you choose to feel bad you will. if you choose to feel good you will. Don't beat yourself up. Tell your self thing will get better and they will. Think positive! You can do it!
pt7135

I read this and take it to heart and start feeling better. I happen to be the mom not the daughter. And also talk to my daughter and told her that I may have to take step away from her until I get to feeling better

Good Luck

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:56 pm

Just started the program, Iam a mother of two boys. Iam selfemployed and place alot of pressure on myself. I realized a had anxiety when I started to all of the sudden breath very differently, like wanting to take in air all of the time. Awful feeling. Whats worse is that my 10 yr old is doing the same thing. I thought I was hideing my problem very well. I asked him and he told me he couldn't get enough air and that he has an uneasy feeling. Is a terrible thing to have anxiety but just isn't fair that my little boy would be having anxious feelings. I am soo scared, Iam an adult I can deal with this but, when it happens to your precious ones, I wish I could take this away because I know how bad this feels. I need a parents encouragement

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new.....I've always known that I have a certain amount of anxiety, but recently I've noticed my 4 year old daughter showing symptoms of anxiety!! At 4! She could not even go on stage for her dance recital, and she has trouble in social gatherings as well. This is why I ordered the program. I want to know as much about this as possible to help her....At such a young age, how do you help them replace a negative thought and can they even comprehend what a negative or positive thought is?

Return to “Parent to Parent”