Scared to become pregnant

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Anxious Jenny

Post by Anxious Jenny » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:03 am

Hi everyone! I just started the program the end of October and I am trying to think more positively and relax and it does seem to be working a bit so far. One of my deep concerns of the future is becoming pregnant and having this anxiety disorder. I have been taking a very low mg of xanax for the past 6 months and want to get off it. I also want to quit smoking before I get pregnant. But, if my anxiety is bad while pregnant will this effect my child or pregnancy? Was this a concern for anyone else?

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:52 pm

Anxious Jenny, this has also been an issue for me for the same reasons.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:12 pm

It is scary! Although in further reading on here, I read that taking meds for anxiety while pregnant is less dangerous then not taking them and suffering panic attacks while pregnant. So, worse comes to worse that's what can be done. Plus, people who take the meds have perfectly healthy children! :)

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:21 pm

I have a young child and I was not prepared emotionally for the hormonal changes and body symptoms that women experience during pregnancy. I had a really rough pregnancy and I wish I was open to anti depressants then, they might have helped. I actually have sworn off having another pregnancy for fear of recurring postpardom depression. I'm sorry if that sounds discouraging. I do however value and love motherhood, as challenging as it is! Now that you have the program and all it's resources, I am sure you will find the right support system to guide you in the direction that is healthy and safe for you and your future child. :)

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:05 pm

My children are what get me through the day. I love being a mother more than anything.Your obgyn will know whats best for you justlet her know how you are feeling about medications.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:16 pm

I was in the same boat as you I just started the prgram in oct and then I find out I might be pregant with our 3rd child. I was doing really well with my Klopin and leapro and then I called my nurse and she said to get off the klopin. So now I'm down to a half and its still working good. I'm not pregant though which I was a little upset but I feel right now I'm not ready to handle another child. Maybe God is telling me to focus on the 2 kids I have first. But the meds are helping I just need to work on the program more. Be praying for you. christin

Return to “Parent to Parent”