postpartum anxiety!

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Valeria83

Post by Valeria83 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:48 am

Hi there, does any mommy knows how long does postpartum anxiety/depression can last, I started with depression when my son was 5 months and then the depression lifted on its own, but the scary anxiety stayed, and my son is now 12 months old and I still have a lot of anxiety and some days I feel a little depressed. Is it really postpartum?

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:21 pm

I had pp anxiety as well. It didnt hit me until my son was 2. It can last awhile and come on years after having a child. I now take Lexapro and it is gone and I feel well.

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:29 pm

HI, NOLE I TOOK LEXAPRO FOR 3 MONTHS AND I THINK IT DID HELP A LITTLE AT FIRST BUT NOT LIKE A WANTED TO. NOW I AM NO XANAX FOR THE ANXIETY AND TRAZODONE. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE NOT TAKING ANYTHING.

SO YOUR ANXIETY STARTED WHEN YOUR SON WAS 2 YEARS OLD? BECAUSE MY STARTED WHEN MY BABY WAS ONLY 5 MONTHS AND MY THERAPIST TOLD ME THAT IT WAS NOT POSTPARTUM, THAT IT WAS TOO LATE FOR THAT! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?, SO I JUST STOPPED GOING TO THERAPY.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:03 pm

I got postpartum anxiety and depression when my son was 5 weeks old. My therapist & Dr. said it can start anytime within 12 months after birth to be postpartum. I had it real bad for 2 years. I did the program and am now 99% recovered. I didn't use any meds because I had a bad reaction to all the ones I tried. What ultimately helped me the most was going back to work. I think its about keeping busy and distracting your mind. Being at home with a baby can be lonely and your mind starts to wander, at least thats how it was for me. Are you doing the program? I was so bad when I had the A & D that I had to put my son in daycare. I was unalbe to care for him. The program got me my life back and now I'm doing great.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:37 am

Originally posted by Valeria83:
HI, NOLE I TOOK LEXAPRO FOR 3 MONTHS AND I THINK IT DID HELP A LITTLE AT FIRST BUT NOT LIKE A WANTED TO. NOW I AM NO XANAX FOR THE ANXIETY AND TRAZODONE. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE NOT TAKING ANYTHING.

SO YOUR ANXIETY STARTED WHEN YOUR SON WAS 2 YEARS OLD? BECAUSE MY STARTED WHEN MY BABY WAS ONLY 5 MONTHS AND MY THERAPIST TOLD ME THAT IT WAS NOT POSTPARTUM, THAT IT WAS TOO LATE FOR THAT! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?, SO I JUST STOPPED GOING TO THERAPY.
I had a little anxiety when he was first born but it went away and then returned with a vegenance when he was 2. I read an article in a parents mag that it can occur up to a few years after having a child, which I think is true in my case. I now take Lexapro and I am fine, within a month of taking them I was back to my old self. I agree with the other poster the being a SAHM is tough and gives your mind time to wander.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:03 am

I had terrible post partem with all 5 of my kids. The first of course were the worst. The kind where you are peeking out from behind the curtains thinking someone is coming to take your baby from you. If someone came to visit, I had all the doors locked and would pretend I was sleeping of course with my baby tucked right next to me, just in case. My second daughter was a preemie and in the nicu for 9 days. I also had complications from the birth. Having to leave the hospital without her sent me into a terrible depression. One where I sepnt days in bed. I asked the hospital not to feed her formula which meant I was supposed to pump and go to the hospital with bottles. I don't admit to many people, I can't remember now if my husband even knows this, but there was a day that I didnt even go to the hospital, I just couldnt stop crying and couldnt get myself out of bed. I'll always have guilt about that. I've always had anxiety, but I know it became worse after I had children. Whether post partem enhanced it or I just had a new set of anxieties or probably both I'm not sure.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:37 am

Valeria83
Hey Valerie. My story is about the same. It hit me when he was about 5 months old. He is 15 months old now and it has gotten better. I started to see a therapist to help and it helped out soooo much. I still have good and bad days. But I think my reaction to everything is anxiety and I am raising a 15 month old so some is normal. I am on here because I am trying to get over the lingering day to day anxiety.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:36 am

Hey Valerie,
I have a lot of experience with this one. Here are some tips. Get out of the house, off the computer and get some fresh air. I live in Chicago and lord knows it gets cold, but the best thing you can do is get some exercise and fresh air to clear your head. It will also help you sleep better. My doc recommends lots of exercise, continue your prenatal vits, and take an additional Vitamin B6 on a regular basis (2 if teh anxiety gets bad). I never had to take anything else. I did this both times with my sons. Had pp depression and anxiety with both. Thoughts were really bad and I'm actually too embarrased to say, and would rather you not dwell on negative things and stay positive!!!!

I have a 5 year old and a 4 month old. When I was pregnant with my 4 month old, the depression hit hard in my 2nd trimester, so I knew I was in for it again. But instead of antidepressants, I did accupuncture and it helped throughout pregnancy and post partum this time. Still have a little symptoms now and then, but I am aware enough to know when it starts to creep, I need to do yoga, exercise like crazy, relax and enjoy my baby. I also decided not to breastfeed with my second which has made a HUGE difference in the amount of rest we both get. I have big boys (1st-9lbs 4 ounces; 2nd-10 lbs, 2 ounces) and I'm small (5'4", 130) so its better if they eat formula and momma gets her rest. A happy momma is a happy family. Good luck to you. And as Carolyn says, get off the computer now, and go take a walk and treat yourself. Have a great day!
Lucie

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi Valerie,
I went through it years ago. I still remember what my oby doctor told me. He said make three list, write down the importance of what needed to be done. The first list, things that had to be done, example, (take care of baby) feed the baby, change the baby, feed family, wash clothes, and baths. Second list example dusting, sweeping floors, picking up etc;. Third list, throw it away, which could be heavy cleaning, etc;.
He said the first list was the most important, and if I didn't get to list two, it was ok.
You can use the list, and make it around a 12 month old. It did help me, and it made a lot of sense to me. I hope this will help you some. As Lucie stated, get some fresh air.
You didn't say, if you were on meds, or in therapy, you might want to check into them. Even if you don't take meds, just talking to someone will help.
Sunshine1960

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:35 am

Thank you all for your replies. Well I am still in this fog. When all this started I did go to the doctor and he prescribed Lexapro and I took it for three months but I don't think it help me like I wished it would. Now I'm taking xanax for the anxiety and Trazodone for depression, but I still feel the same I don't know what to do, now I have a lot of fatigue, and feel unlike myself and I have this fog that I hate sometimes I feel like throwing away the meds and see what happens! I am so desperate. what can I do?

Return to “Parent to Parent”