Thinking about having another child

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Diggy

Post by Diggy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:21 am

I am 30 yrs old with a 11 yr old daughter. anxiety came into my life 9 months or so after her. I didn't know what it was until 2 years later when i started having panic attacks and slight depression. For the most part i was ok until i got pregant again in April 2006. This preganancy did not work out ending June 2006. I started to experience anxiety again about 8 months after it , full blown after a year.

I am hoping to have another child in 2009, but I am just scared of how i will cope , dealing with anxiety, and my health fears.

I would like some advice from mothers who are dealing with it or have recovered. Please help thank you

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:40 am

I CAN TOTALLY relate!

I am 33 and the mother of 3 youngest is 9...Now I am freaked to get pregnant yet it's the #1 desire I have! I guess I worry I will "freak out" through the whole pregnancy which doesn't and can't happen...but you understand.

It has gotten worse the anxiety about being pregnant since we decided 2008 is our year...(which for an anxious person is normal to get more anxious when the fear is closer) We rarley have sex because I am afriad to get preggers even thought that's what I want...ahhh the mind is a trap! I shouldn't hang out in it so much!

We should keep in touch, I haven't been on this sight for ages and seeing your post was a relief just because I understand

I stuggle with general anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia....

J

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:48 am

Wow 3, how do you handle your children with anxiety. I know for me It keeps me from doing alot of things. I try to talk to her about it, as they say it can be passed on and i don't want her to have this problem. Mine is generalized, the panic attacks are more so in my sleep i jump up. Lately i have had that lump in throat feeling the kind you get when you are scared or something. Don't know why.
I always said i didn't want anymore kids, i was soo afraid of dying or something but after the program i started to feel a strong desire to have another one. I am only 30 yet i feel like i am 55. Body is out of shape, so i worry if i can even get pregnant or carry the baby full term. I have back issues so my back hurts now, i worry about that.

Thank you for responding, yes keep in touch let me know how you make out!

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:15 am

So many of us think alike. I have a 2 1/2 year old and would love to have another. We started trying last year but that is part of what helped drive me into the deep depression and anxiety I have now. So, we have put that aspect on hold - but my number 1 goal is to get mentally healthy to have another baby. Sometimes, I feel so overwhelmed that emotionally I cannot take care of my daughter - this has been going on for a year like I mentioned. But, I am doing better, just not quite ready for baby #2. I think maybe you will know when the timing is right - and my most important advice is don't do it before you are ready.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:01 pm

Diggy & can,

Hello, hello...

Trust me I have STRUGGLED!!! and given my issues I do have limits...When my children were younger was the toughest...I didn't have great support well not the right kind...I was young and stupid too ashamed and didn't know enough to make the right choices for myself. My kids have spent time in daycare because I needed to be with a "safe" person and having them(the children) there could be difficult...I have guilt over that but you know what they all are wonderful people the worst of it is that I beat myself up for something that happend 7 or more years ago...they are now 16, 12, and 9.

Please do not worry about it effecting your children! I think people that struggle with these types of things over compensate! Hey you know your issues and your dealing with them! My children know about my anxiety issues, and you know what I tell them they can't catch it, that it's no big deal and they can do anything! I also have worked hard not to raise my kids as I was that sure helps!

Oh the lump in the throat I have went through bouts of that...that will pass too....Oh and I have awful back issues! LOL

Looks to me as if both of you and I will be having more children! Keep positive what I tell myself is I regretted enough I don't want this to pass me!

J
Last edited by JNfree on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:03 am

There are a lot of threads in here on this topic. I have two children, little girls ages 9 and 4. I am 33 weeks pregnant with a little boy who was a surprise to us. It started very rough, the hormones sent me into a spiral. I have been on Prozac, klonopin, and ambien throughout my pregnancy, monitored closely by my ob and my psychiatrist. The baby has tolerated it fine, and I have become functional and "normal" again, in the process. The panic attacks are far more dangerous to the baby than the meds. It can be done, you can have a healthy, happy baby and take meds as needed. A lot of women on here have done it. Having another child, if you truly want it, is such a blessing, and thanks to technology and medical advancements we can safely do it with anxiety. Go for it!!! :)

Tara

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:54 am

Thanks Tara!

You're girls are beautiful and congratulations! I know I do need to go for it because I obsess and worry about what if this and that I am missing out. More weight off more positive in and then I need to well...Just do it!

Take Care
J

Return to “Parent to Parent”