26 Weeks

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
~Lisa~

Post by ~Lisa~ » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:01 pm

I'm a first time mom currently 26 weeks pregnant, and over the past few days I've been experiencing MAJOR shortness of breath (standing, sitting, lying down or lying back propped up....doesn't matter my position) as well as a high pulse (most times in the upper 90s). Do you think this is something I should be concerned about and call the on-call OB, or do you think this is just pregnancy-related symptoms?

Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Lisa
Visit My Website!

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:19 pm

Hi Lisa,

It is always better to be safe....call your OB and get a professional opinion.

Take care.

kappaman

Post by kappaman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:05 am

I would not worry about it. I had the same thing with both of my pregnancies. The bigger the baby gets the worst it will get. Also, depending on your size and where the baby is positioned can affect you in this way. If you are carrying your baby higher, then the baby could be pushing up against your lungs and causing you to have a shortness of breath. If you are sincerely worried then let your doctor know when you go to your next appointment.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:40 pm

Hey Lisa,
My name is Amy, I just had my baby 16 weeks ago and I just wanted to tell you that what you are experiencing is so normal while pregnant. When a woman gets pregnant her body is producing so much more blood, I believe its like 3 times as much, it causes the heart to pump faster to push the blood throughout the body. Its ok. The shortness of breath is most likely caused from the baby pushing on your lungs, maybe he or she has a foot in your ribs, which by the way isn't fun lol. Having a baby takes a toll on our bodies but what you get at the very end is so WORTH Everything!!!! I was so worried about everything, said I wouldn't ever do it again, but it was so not worth the freaking out and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I am actually trying to talk my hubby into having another one soon. So anyways, if you need anything feel free to ask, I am still fresh lol!!! Trust me when I tell you, its not worth the worry, everything will be just fine, relax and enjoy it cause the time flies!!!!

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:56 pm

Congrats on your first child,beleive me when i say you will truly find out what true love is.

lpeter

Post by lpeter » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi there,

im 27 weeks along and I experience shortness of breathe too. My doctor said it is totally normal.

I do think though that if you have a history of panic the shortness of breathe can trigger attacks. You get scared and tell your brain that something is wrong and the chemical process begins.

I suggest you talk to your doctor and hear from him/her that it is total normal. That helped for me.

Mudgy

Post by Mudgy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:09 am

Hi there--my third child is now 5 months old (Lisa, please treasure it as they grow so damned fast!!!). Any way, my heart rate hovered around 90-105 most of the time, and the ob said it was because your blood volume doubles when pregnant. Shortness of breath is also normal like the other ladies noted, as there is a growing little munchkin taking over your abdominal cavity and basically shoving your lungs up into your throat, lol. Around 33-35 weeks baby should begin to drop a little, and you will be able to breathe easier. Congratulations, again! Do you know what you are having?

Hugs, Tara

hopehound

Post by hopehound » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks!

We're having a little girl! :)

~Lisa~
ANGELS CAN FLY BECAUSE THEY TAKE THEMSELVES LIGHTLY

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:45 pm

Congrats on the little girl!!! Its hard to believe but my little princess is now 4 months old and already 15 lbs 4 oz. They grow so fast!!!!

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:33 am

Big Girl! My little man is 5 months and 19 lbs, he is a tank, lol. His big sisters get a kick out of him. Amy, what is the little Princess' name?

Return to “Parent to Parent”