first day at kindergarten drama

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Laura V

Post by Laura V » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 am

Don: Thank you for your input. You can see from my post to krtasch that my son has adjusted pretty well, except for this morning bus glitch. I am trying to stay positive -- all things considered, this is a minor thing! I am sorry your son had such a hard time, and I worry about my son because it is clearly nervousness and anxiety. He said last week that he would be nervous the first day in every grade, and I said "well that is normal, everyone feels a little nervous the first day of school." And he said: "NO...not a little nervous, A LOT nervous"! He is not yet 5! But I am grateful I have skills to teach him, and he is able to articulate his feelings, so I suppose that is good. It is GREAT to hear that your son is doing so well as an adult and secure in his self-esteem. You obviously are a good Dad.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:34 am

Yeah!!! My son finally rode the bus this morning!! This is the end of his 5th week of kindergarten, so it was a SSLLLOOOWW process. It took a LOT of patience, but we gradually got him to go further and further onto the bus each morning. HE set the schedule, and I think that, and the lack of pressure from us, made the difference. I am so proud of him (and me!)

Return to “Parent to Parent”