Any parents homeschool?

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Celeste1

Post by Celeste1 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:23 am

I homeschool my children and was wondering if anyone else does. Do you find the responsibility of homeschooling adds to your anxiety?

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Jesus Christ
Matthew 6:27

AimCat

Post by AimCat » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:51 am

Hi, Celeste! My husband and I homeschool our two children, ages 10 and 7. I am new to the program, but I am an old hand at anxiety and depression. I work full time and so does my spouse and we are trying (have been trying for 10 years) to launch a small organic farm. My goal was to quit working off the farm by the time our older son turned 8, so you can see that didn't happen. I can get very anxious about homeschooling -- just will I give them what they need. My older son really benefitted from a reading tutor, but I feel very guilty that if he'd been in school, his disability would have been caught much sooner. Also, uncooperative children stress me out. I/we only have so much time, and fits and refusals waste my time as well as theirs. The "free" afternoon evaporates as the morning tantrums go on and on.
My husband and I are hoping this program can help me and also our whole family. Our older son, especially, needs to learn these skills of resilience also. We've made coaching him in his attitudes and negative mindset the major goal of homeschooling presently. And I need to confront my irritation/anger/depression to help him do it.
How old are your children, Celeste? I believe so much in homeschooling and what it can mean for close family relationships and freedom to play and to follow one's heart. I do get anxious -- I really got anxious yesterday when my older boy started in on "I hate grammar, it's stupid, I'm not going to do it," and my dear husband tried to offer suggestions of an order of reguiding efforts, but my mind was spinning down the road of "I've got to quit working full time. My husband doesn't seem to care that homeschooling and working is killing me and driving me back into depression." So the discussion had morphed unbeknownst to my dear spouse, and now, somehow, he was the object of my frustration instead of our son which he was trying to help with.
This whole anxiety/anger/depression thing leaves my spouse befuddled and angry at me.
Anyway, you asked about homeschooling, and I do it. I just started the program, so I ramble off topic. But I'm glad to know you and if you want to homeschool, you can do it!

Firebug

Post by Firebug » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:13 pm

Just to note an observation of mine, kids I've known who were homeschooled, receaved a much better scholastic education and had many extra opertunitys by buckleing down and graduating early. My Father is a retired public school teacher so I hate to say it, but inless the child wants to persue a carrer in sports, homeschooling is the best route for most. You can tell I went to public school by my spelling. lol

Celeste1

Post by Celeste1 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:09 am

Hi AimCat!
My oldest is 7 and my youngest is 3. I commend you on working full time AND homeschooling. That must be very difficult at times. I work part time and I feel so overwhelmed more often than not. That might be because I only started homeschooling back in November of last year. I don't think I've "mastered" the art yet. :) My husband and I have seen a positive difference in the behavior and attitude of our 7 year old daughter since we started so we are really encouraged to continue homeschooling. We have decided though that the children need more interaction academically and socially since on days that I work, they go to my grandmother's house. Unfortunately, they sit in front of the T.V. for a better part of the day instead of being mentally challenged. Plus, with her being in her 70's, it is difficult for her to stay active with them. I have put my notice in at work and starting in April, I will be home full time. My husband works 8-5pm, M-F so it would be impossible to have the children stay home with him while I went to work.

My feelings of anxiety stem from early childhood but it seems as if it only has gotten worse through adulthood. I noticed having children was the biggest trigger. I worried about everything with them. I still do. I guess my concern over staying home now is the extra time I will have on my hands to start obsessing over things, especially my own health. That seems to be a big one these days. I know keeping busy with the kids will act as a distraction but my anxiety/depression has been so powerful in the past that I dropped everything to wallow in it.

I can definitely relate to uncooperative children and tantrums. It seems to run rampant in our household. My challenge is finding activities for my 3 year old that allows quality "school time" with the oldest. Schooling the 3 year old consists of shape, letter, color, and number recognition. That takes all of 20 minutes with his attention span. I guess it's just going to take a week or so once I'm home regularly to get into a routine.

A small organic farm? That's great! Two weeks ago, we planted organic cucumbers and tomatoes in our back yard! We did it mostly as an activity for the children to participate in day to day but it's become enjoyable for my husband and I too. He wants to add some other vegetables soon. We eat a lot of fresh vegetables and prefer them to be organic when possible. The milk, cheese, and meat we buy are also organic. It can get expensive but it makes me feel a little better about what we put in our bodies.
Well, it was nice meeting you. Hope to "chat" with you again. Take care and good luck with your homeschooling situation. Feel free to PM me if things get rough.

Celeste

Jesus Christ

Celeste1

Post by Celeste1 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:21 am

You can tell I went to public school by my spelling. lol
Firebug, You're so funny! LOL! :D

You're right. Studies have shown that homeschooled children are ahead of the curve academically than public schooled children but there are public schooled children that are ahead of the curve as well. I think it all boils down to what the parent thinks is important. I know for myself, my daughter was coming home from kindergarten asking about homosexuality and sex. I felt, as most parents would, that she was not mature enough to learn about such things. She also was reading at a second grade level when she was in kindergarten so I didn't think she was receiving the academic challenge she needed.

There are many reasons people choose to homeschool.
Would your father support homeschool after having worked in education all his life? Most teachers I know support the idea and most either send their children to private school (an option we can't afford), or homeschool them themselves. Ironic, huh? ;)

Take care!

Jesus Christ

AimCat

Post by AimCat » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:35 pm

Hey, Celeste: Good for you to stay home with your children. And good for your spouse to support you in that. I can relate to worrying about the extra time to obsess, but you're going to lick that, no? Your kids are so small -- I remember when my older was 6 and the younger was 3. It really was impractical for me to do much in a concentrated way, but I sure tried! (And frankly, my older one didn't benefit at all from my pushing him into academics as soon as he was 5. But your older child sounds unlike him academically.) Just organizing your day and operating your home and getting out into the world is a wonderful, much less stressful(!) way to homeschool with a little one about. We still do oral math and "cooking math" and read, read, read, and those worked well for me when I gave myself permission to do them. Your garden project really is perfect for children -- they love doing "real" things, and they just need to MOVE. Have you ever read about Charlotte Mason? I've really enjoyed incorporating her attitude into my homeschooling (she is much more organized than I, but I'm still working on that). Most of all, don't fret about your children because you are doing a wonderful thing for them. And absolutely don't fret about what other parents are doing (or bragging about) or what any relatives might think they want you to do as long and you and your spouse are on the same page -- and sometimes that takes some talking and "educating." Remember, the kids who walked first didn't end up walking (or running) any better than the kids who walked later. And the kids who learn fractions first (or whatever) don't necessarily do it better than the kids who get to it later. And finally, remember always that you are devoted to the educating of a person, not just a student. And that means you are interested in all their dimensions -- spiritual, emotional, physical, moral, familial, intellectual, imaginative, and, and, and.
I don't mean to lecture. I'm just really passionate about homeschooling. And I DO know about worrying about doing it "right" and not "ruining" my dear children. Talk to you later.

Firebug

Post by Firebug » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:34 pm

Hey Celeste1-
The old man got out of the public school system just in the nic of time to save his pention wich he enjoys theroly, liveing on his boat in the Florida keys. Dad put me in a private christian school for a few years but all I learned there was to hate anything that had to do with organised religeon. I must have gotten over it though, I've been the minister of music in my church for 3 and half years now. Do you remember that really grouchy that always had to be in complete control of the room? That was dad. lol Home schooling was always his big threat to keep me from getting myself expelled. He is been a big fan of homeschooling ever since they said you couldnt beat a child with a yardstick any more. lol
They took the teachers power to accually teach away from them and those who have been around for many years and are true pro's get forced into early retirement. Thats been the #1 cause in decline of the quality of education. What do you have set up for your children as far as developing good social skills with thier own generation?

Celeste1

Post by Celeste1 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Hey AimCat,
I haven't heard of Charlotte Mason. I'll have to look her up. I agree that getting out into the world is a great way of homeschooling. Simple everyday things like comparing prices on grocery items is blended into a lesson. I do follow a curriculum but I've slowly started to supplement with other ideas and materials.

You're certainly right about not worrying about what others (mainly relatives in my case)say about homeschool. When my daughter recalls details of lessons to interested parties, they'll say, "where did you learn that?" It's great to hear her say, "My mom taught me that in homeschool." It's encouraging to know that she's catching on and she's actually learning.

Thank you for reminding me about dimensional learning. It can get rough at times and sometimes I catch myself wanting to be too structured for the sake of time and ease. If there's anything homeschooling has taught me, it is to be flexible with time and schedules!

Talk to you later... :)

Jesus Christ

Celeste1

Post by Celeste1 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:37 pm

Hey Firebug!
I remember that grouchy guy! I think he was my 11th grade english teacher! LOL! :D

Social skills is very important for every child, especially those who are homeschooled. Since we go to church twice a week, she's involved with the youth group, children's church, and the children's choir. Aside from children in church, we do community activities and field trips with our local homeschool group. She also plays with the neighboorhood children when they get home from school, and she'll strike up "friendships" when we go to the park. She has expressed interest in Girl Scouts, soccer, karate, and dance but we told she needs to narrow it down since she already takes weekly piano lessons. These activities can get expensive!! :eek:

Celeste

Jesus Christ

Firebug

Post by Firebug » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:31 pm

Hey Celeste1-
Scouts are a really great thing. When I was in fireschool I sat next to a 16yr old kid who already graduated highscool, had college paid for, and was doing ROTC repelling from cliffs and helicopters. All paid for through "explorers" wich is the next step after scouts. Not that haveing your kid jumping out of helicopters would ease your anxiety, but scouts opens a lot of doors for kids that I never knew about till I met him. You might want to see what Florida offers through scouts.

Return to “Parent to Parent”