Grown son driving us nuts!!

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
just mom

Post by just mom » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:46 pm

DH and I have a 23 year old son. He has been in trouble with the law starting at age 14. Problems ever year after that. He doesn't live with us. He hardley ever works, asks us for $$ several times a year. We have helped him some and Saturday is the last time ever. He is working on turning a relitive I love very much against us with awful lies. she is is starting to believe him because he can really put on a show and people start to believe him. We are so very hurt and don't want this to continue. This relitive has not always been a truthful person either in her life and she too attracts idiots. any suggestions? DH and I hurt so much.

sick&tired

Post by sick&tired » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:00 am

Hi... so sorry you're hurting. Maybe you can call a family meeting and get the 4 of you together to talk it out? There is always a lot of He Said-She said, and it will probably help to all be in one room.

Good luck!

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:37 am

so sorry for this just mom....Its terrible...but I guess the program teaches us that we CANNOT change people only the way we allow them to affect us. Hes a grown man now and sounds like he hasnt learned from the mistakes of his past. As a Mom Im sure its hard to just sit and watch but its probably all you can do. Eventually the truth comes out....so even if he is "spreading some Lies" pretty thick and people are soaking it up it will all come about in time. A lie can only last so long and eventually it all comes tumbling down.

YOu know in your heart youve done all you can. You have tried your best so dont let it get you into that cycle of guilt...you didnt fail him he failed himself. But there is hope. Hes young and time may slap some sense into even the ****iest kid.

Best thing you can do is stay put and bide your time....allow him to make his mistakes and believe me the day will come he sees the light....its up to you then if you say....of course I love you I always have or not.

((((((to you and Darling husband))))))))))
we do the best we can and thats all we can do.
Dodger

Return to “Parent to Parent”