parent of a sick toddler

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Mamma Maria

Post by Mamma Maria » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:47 am

I am new to the program after dealing with anxiety/depression for years. Sometimes I feel like I am a bad mommy. I am short tempered/irritable. i work 2 1/2 days a week as a nurse. My son is in daycare and is chronically ill. I have contemplated staying home because I feel guilty he is sick constantly. But I think I would go insane to be home. I would love to talk withother moms/dads who have experienced these feeling.
maria

Amy H

Post by Amy H » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:25 am

Hi,
Is the daycare causing him to be chronically ill or is that something else?

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:27 pm

Is he new to daycare? My son was sick all the time last year when I went back to work. This year he gets a cold now and then but not very often. Maybe your child is just building is immune system.

I went back to work because I was going nuts in the house. I am better parent because I work out of the home and get the adult interaction my brain needs. There is nothing wrong with you wanting to be out of the house a few days a week. At first I did feel like a horrible Mom for putting him in daycare. But I got over it and he loves going there. He gets the social interaction he needs too. Sounds to me like you are a great Mom. If you were bad, you wouldn't be concerned. Being a parent can brind alot of guilt. The lesson on Worry and Guilt will help you alot with these issues. It did for me. I thin what you are experiencing is normal and the program will really help. It did more me.
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

IMRD2CHG

Post by IMRD2CHG » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:09 pm

Dear Mamma Maria,
Take heart, children are often ill. When I had 3 kids under age 5 & all of them sick at the same time I often thought I was going to lose my mind. Inevitably I usually caught it too & would end up sick right along with them. When kids are little, everything goes in the mouth, they don't know to wash their little hands after they've touched something that another little one with a runny nose has touched. Before you know it your little one won't be so little any more & the illnesses will usually get further & farther between. (My kids now range in age from 23 to 18). When my kids were small though, I rarely got a full night's sleep. I understand your feelings of guilt & wondering if the illness is caused because of something you're doing or not doing. I think most of us mom's do question ourselves & I think you're perfectly normal to wonder! Take heart, this too shall pass!

Return to “Parent to Parent”