Anxiety about giving antibiotic to my son

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
AdeleS

Post by AdeleS » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:40 pm

My son is 2 1/ 2 years old and started preschool for the 1st time, 2 weeks ago. It didn't take long for him to wake up with another cold, which a week later turned into an ear infection & throat infection. He's had colds before, but nothing that required antibiotics. This is the 1st time, he's been sick enough to require medication. I'm so afraid of him getting sick from side effects of the antibiotic. This is more my own anxiety about taking meds, but it's carrying over to him. I keep telling myself that I need to stay in the present and not worry about something that hasn't happened. I kept telling myself that this medication will make him better and healthy again. I know it's okay for me to feel anxious about this. This is new for me. I have to constantly remind myself that I am capable and strong and can give my son the care he needs while he's sick. It's just a stressful time, because I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure what's normal symptoms for a throat and ear infection. I've been doing a good job about reading my book on toddler health and taking care of my son during this time. Any other new moms or seasoned moms that can relate to this topic. Any sage advice from those moms that have "been there, done that!"

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi Adele:
Oh Dear. You made me realize how far removed I am from the modern ways. In my day a child only 2 1/2 years was considered a baby and taken care of in that way. Can't imagine sending one to preschool.
I just hope your little boy recovers quickly.
Poor little tyke.
This has to be stressful for you. He'll be feeling pretty bad with an ear infection. The antibiotic will take care of that.
I'm sure you are doing a good job. Being a mom is rewarding but not always easy.
I raised 3 but it has been a long time ago.
My best to you!! Try not to worry too much.
Mary Jane

AdeleS

Post by AdeleS » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:17 pm

Thanks Mary Jane. I feel better today. In my son's class there are children even younger than him. One of his friends just turned 2. It's good for Alex to go to preschool. He's an only child and really was missing interaction with other children. I would see him want to be around other children where ever we go. He gravitated to them like flies to honey. Of course, those children had their own friends and would shun my son, because they didn't know him. So I knew he would make friends in school and have playmates to play with. He loves it. Unfortunately, the downside is that he will catch what's going around. My Pediatrician says it's bound to happen, if not now, then when he starts Kindergarten. At least now he will start to build up an immunity. Thanks for listening. Adele

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:06 am

AdeleS:
I can see your point. It has been so long since
I had to think about those things.
I had another child by time my oldest was 2.

By now the antibiotic has probably come to your child's rescue.

You are doing a good job.

Carry on!
Mary Jane

Return to “Parent to Parent”