Anyone else feel this way?

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Candice_StOnge

Post by Candice_StOnge » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:16 am

Hi Everyone

I am new to the program, well sort of new. I bought the tapes and videos years ago and never used them. Then my husband and I moved, we lost them and I bought a new set. So last week I started the program.

I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and suffering from hyper-emesis. I throw up every two hrs, whenever I eat, drink, move, etc.. The problem is because of this I haven't left the house in months. My mom and husband think I am an agoraphobic and to an extent I think I am. I really don't want to leave the house because my fear of throwing up in front of others is so strong that even if I feel ok, if I think about going out I get sick to my stomach. Has anyone else gone through this? Is this just normal pregnancy stuff or have I totally lost it?

Also, My Dr. started me back on Effexor 2 weeks ago and so far nothing is helping. My depression and anxiety level is through the roof. I am so worried about this precious baby in my belly. I have never in my life wanted something so bad and the thought of losing the baby or something going wrong has me completely nuts. I did suffer a miscarriage last November and it is all I can think about. This pregnancy was planned and after only one month of trying I got pregnant. It was a bit of a shock to my husband and I because we thought it would take a long time.

On top of everything my husband and I just moved about an hr away from our hometown. The place we have both lived our whole lives. That is a great source of my anxiety. I miss our families. I miss all our friends. I miss our old life.

I just feel so overwhelmed by all the changes going on and my husband doesn't know how to help me. He just gets frustrated with me. I feel really alone, terrified and cry all the time. I am so unhappy with the way I am lately. This isn't me. I want the "old me" back.

Thank you for letting me get this all off my chest. I really need a friend right now. I hope there is someone out there who knows what I'm going through. I just want to know that this is all normal and things will get better.

Malikye

Post by Malikye » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi,

I can't say I have all the answers, cause really I don't. But I do know what it feels like to know that you're not alone, and that what you are feeling is normal. Both of which I can give you the truthful answer which are that you aren't alone with this and it is all normal.
Don't give up, I'm not near being "my old self", and I don't think I will be, I hope to be a new me, better than before.
Just stay positive, remember "setbacks" are a normal part of recovery. Recover isn't a straight road, meaning you will go back a bit sometimes, 2 steps forward, one step back.
Just remember, it's all thoughts, change your thoughts, change your life.
"As you think, so shall you be."

Take Care,

Coop111

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Thank you for your reply, Coop111

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:06 pm

Dear Candice: What Coop111 says is true. The vomiting is absolutely normal, although it affects some people more than others. It usually gets better after the first 12 wks. I would keep away from strong odors, especially those that can make you nauseated, and they may be smells you used to love. The life growing inside of you is very precious, but very strong as well. As far as going out, nothing wrong with carrying a 1 gal zip-lock bag and a small paper lunch bag (so the other one won't show). If you feel queezy, you go off to a corner and do what you have to do. A couple of tic-tacs and you're as good as new. Besides, one of the perks of being pregnant is the sympathy everyone seems to feel for you. You should share in the emotion. You are doubly special and precious right now.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi there, I don't really have any answers for you, as I have never been pregnant. I would like to offer support though. I know the fear of vomiting (although you have a real reason for that right now) in public. I have had an overwhelming fear of that my whole life, and I have NEVER done it. So stay strong, I just know you can get through this. Good luck to you.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:47 am

I'm not an MD or OB, but I did not think Effexor and pregnancy went together.....maybe look into it, but I know my sis in law was STRONGLY encouraged to be off her Effexor before getting pregnant, and they switched her to something else, can't remember what.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:50 am

Candice, congratulations! Children are a blessing, but sometimes getting them here is a challenge to say the least.

Has the doctor mentioned any medication to help with the vomiting? When I taught Lamaze classes, we recommended Papia (not spelled correctly) juice. It must be pure juice and sipped throughout the day...perhaps a local health food store would have some?

How about seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist for some simple-phobia therapy? Simple-phobia means just one phobia. That is the easiest to treat...see what is available in your area. So, the plan would be to treat the nausea, and the fear. Make sense?

Let us know how you are doing. I assume you are working through the program and putting what you are learning into practice. We are here for you. Best regards, Carolyn

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi I am sorry to hear that you don't feel well. Moving is a stressful thing as is being pregnant. Even good changes can throw us off sometimes. I wanted to ask if you were taking any prenatal vitamins? I have 3 children and I learned the hard way that I can't take the prenatal Vitamins. after about a week they make me feel badly and if I keep taking them I always start to throw up. My Dr. said 2 chewable flintstones were a good alternative and I would take one AM and one PM. If we eat right we really need to pay attention to the folic acid more than anything else. I know you said you throw up very often so I can imagine that eating right is a real effort for you now.
I took a low dosage of zoloft while I was pregnant, 1/2 my usual non pregnant dosage. I researched this before I did it and the info was confusing and contridictory. Some said it was ok and some said it was not.
One final thought is that as much as you may not want to, try relaxing and just letting yourself vomit when you need to. Fighting to stay in control of something like that makes it worse in my opinion and it is a waste of energy! Stay in touch with your doctor or midwife and let them know what is going on, that is what they are there for. Take good care of yourself. bye for now.

Angla

Post by Angla » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:46 am

I had nausea and vomiting until second trimester pretty bad. Your local drug store should carry anti-nausea wrist bands, they work as accupressure points on your wrists to make the nausea more tolerable. There actually advertised for people on cruises. I never missed work with these on, and effectively hid my pregnancy for the first 12-16 weeks. It doesn't alleviate the n/v completely, but makes it more tolerable. Also, try drinking lemonade or eating lemon ice.

On another note, your anxiety is expected with the past miscarriage. I am currently 35 weeks, and I still worry due to a previous miscarriage prior to this pregnancy. Once you reach the second trimester, it should be relieved.

I also started accupunture in second trimester, and it really helped anxiety and depression vs. meds.

Just a couple of things that helped me through.
Lucie

Return to “Parent to Parent”