Pregnancy while on anti-depressants?

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:23 am

I understand what you are saying completely. I have acquaintances who had a 'binge night' of drinking and drugs and I can't imagine what (I stress the word 'acquaintances' as I really don't have much to do with them), when shortly after they discovered that she was pregnant. Even after all that, their baby seems normal and well. Now that she's 5 years old, I would think if there were some development issue it would begin to show, but she is completely fine.

So, seeing that, and knowing that folks like you and I are doing our best to reduce what we take, be well informed, well educated, and do the best we possibly can for our babies I think we're in the best place we can be. ;)

I'm not saying it doesn't come with worry - it totally does. But, like my husband said yesterday, in looking at the risks, and knowing I am taking the lowest dose possible we likely aren't increasing the risks much more than what they are by being over 35 and trying to conceive. (I'm 38)

So, in the end, I just say 'okay, it's up to God. I'm doing all that I can, I've educated myself, I've asked the questions and I'm being as responsible as possible, it's up to him.'

I hope it goes wonderfully for you - please report in!

Ronda

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:36 am

I will for sure keep you posted. It is so comforting to know that people are experiencing the same issues you are. Take care of yourself and enjoy your pregnancy!

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:43 am

I went through 2 pregnancies on Paxil CR. I was taking the highest dose. Both my children (now ages 4 and 7) are just fine. With my first, I was also on Vistaril to help with the anxiety. I can tell you, it was scarier for the baby's health for me to be OFF my meds, as I was not eating or sleeping, and was suicidal. Hope my little story helps in some way. Take care.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:43 am

I'm trying to get pregnant with a second and recently saw a psychiatrist who specializes in this area. I have been tapering off zoloft and really concerned about taking meds during pregancy. While most docs assured me it's safe to be on meds, this doctor said she's become more conservative with regards to meds during pregnancy. She said for those with mild-moderate anxiety she recommends getting off meds during conception/first trimester as some recent articles have raised the question about problems associated with meds during pregnancy. It's all so confusing and you hear so many different things. I'm off meds and trying to get pregnant and it's been hard, but i think taking the medication and worrying about it defeats the benefit it provides me. Good luck

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:21 am

Well, I found out I was pregnant first and suffering from depression after the fact. I was able to talk to my sister who is a L&D nurse about it. She had just been to a conference about ADs and pregnancy. There is always a risk with ANY medication but the risk-benefit ratio is definitely in favor of the mom.

As for me, I'm on zoloft and I'm still having issues. That's why I'm here. I didn't want medication to be my crutch. I also worked with my doctor about the zoloft and she's been incredibly helpful in that area.

Return to “Parent to Parent”