Pregnancy while on anti-depressants?

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Ronda E

Post by Ronda E » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:45 am

Hi everyone! I've been slowly coming off my anti-depressants (Effexor) and am at 1 every 2 or 3 days (at one every 3 days, things got a little too scary, so I'm going back to every 2 days for now).

We're really wanting to get started on having a family and I'm wondering if anyone here was on anti-d's while pregnant and what information you might have learned. I've seen a reproductive psycologist, but I need to get more info. I'd prefer to be off the meds entirely, but just in case, I'm wondering what others experienced while being on them during pregnancy.

Anyone stop taking them DURING pregnancy? What experiences did you have? What did your Dr. say about it?

If you have info, please share!
Thanks!
:)
Ronda

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:16 pm

Ronda E
As a perspective parent - my husband and I just started trying this month - I would love to know what you learn! Please keep me updated!
Thanks,
KC

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:01 pm

I was on Lexapro and Wellbutrin due to a family problem with my oldest daughter during my last pregnancy. When I couldn't stop crying over the problem, they must me on Remeron. Baby turned out fine, and family problems even worked themselves out. Hope that helps. Bev

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:44 am

Thank you so much Bev. That does help. I want to hear the 'reality' as much as the Dr. input.

KC - when I went to the reproductive psycologist, she was really helpful and said that the more 'tried and true' drugs (ie: Prozac, etc) are far more tested and have more results available. Since Effexor is new, they are planning on switching me to something else that is a bit more tested.

She told me that their advice is to take the smallest amount possible to get the desired effect (ie - feeling good). The outcome of taking the drugs vs. not taking them is hard to analyze since they aren't sure what effect an emotionally upset mom might have on the baby.

The drugs themselves seem to have fairly minimal effects from what she said. I will keep you posted on anything else I learn!

Ronda

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:59 am

Has anyone been on Prozac while they are pregnant? I know that it is supposed to be safer but have recently read that it can cause heart issues for the baby.
I am hoping to be off of it when we start trying but my first time decreasing hasn't gone so smoothly.
Thanks!!
Faith

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:51 am

Hi there--I am 7 months pregnant and have been taking 60 mg/day of Prozac, 1-2 mg/day of Klonopin, and 5 mg/night of Ambien for the whole pregnancy. My psychiatrist and ob have worked together closely, and it was decided that the meds were far less dangerous to my baby than the panic attacks. So far my baby and I are tolerating meds fine, the only complication my Ob has told me MIGHT occur is a one day withdrawal period from the Prozac for the baby after birth. So I am in the process of trying to wean my Prozac from 60 mg to 20 mg until I deliver, but the Ob has also told me if at any time my symptoms get worse to go back to 60 mg as the risk to the baby is so small compared to the complications that severe anxiety can cause.

Long answer, but these meds have allowed me to not only survive this pregnancy but to enjoy it, and I can not wait for my baby boy to arrive!!!! Do what you need to do, it is better for the baby and for you if you are healthy and happy :)

Tara

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:58 pm

Tara,
Thank you for your response. Sometimes it is nice to hear what other people are going through. I wish you the best for when your baby arrives!!
Faith

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Tara, thank you for responding to the post. It is really helpful and encouraging to hear what you are going through. My husband and I have agreed that all we can do it educate ourselves and then move forward. :)

Getting input from you helps with the education and with feeling good about our decision!
Thank you!
Ronda

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 am

Congrautlations Ronda!!

My husband have started to try this month for a baby. I am currently weening off of xanax and lexapro. I am currently down to .12 of the xanax which I dont think could have much effect on the baby but I dont know? I also take 10 mg of lexapro which I am going to start weenign off tomorrow. I just dont want to rush my body too much that it causes the horrible panic attaks to come back with revenge because I know this is not good for trying to get pregnant. I just feel like you never know how long it is going to take and you hear all these stories how some people were drinking all the time or taking street drugs before they found out they were pregnant and their babies turned out well.
THoughts?

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:23 am

I understand what you are saying completely. I have acquaintances who had a 'binge night' of drinking and drugs and I can't imagine what (I stress the word 'acquaintances' as I really don't have much to do with them), when shortly after they discovered that she was pregnant. Even after all that, their baby seems normal and well. Now that she's 5 years old, I would think if there were some development issue it would begin to show, but she is completely fine.

So, seeing that, and knowing that folks like you and I are doing our best to reduce what we take, be well informed, well educated, and do the best we possibly can for our babies I think we're in the best place we can be. ;)

I'm not saying it doesn't come with worry - it totally does. But, like my husband said yesterday, in looking at the risks, and knowing I am taking the lowest dose possible we likely aren't increasing the risks much more than what they are by being over 35 and trying to conceive. (I'm 38)

So, in the end, I just say 'okay, it's up to God. I'm doing all that I can, I've educated myself, I've asked the questions and I'm being as responsible as possible, it's up to him.'

I hope it goes wonderfully for you - please report in!

Ronda

Return to “Parent to Parent”