First Trimester Fears--HELP pls!!!!!

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
ocean1

Post by ocean1 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:16 pm

I am 7 weeks pregnant and having a very hard time--the panic that I thought I conquered is hitting me very very hard. I was on 50mgs of luvox when I got pregnant (which is very low compared to the 200 mgs I was at a year ago)--I stopped cold turkey last Friday.

The most frustrating thing is that I have no idea where these feelings are coming from--is it withdrawal? the pregnancy? my panic disorder? My doctor told me to wait until after my first trimester until considering meds again but I am really miserable and I am having a very tough time getting through my work day.

I am really afraid---anyone out there with any advice or words of encouragement??

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Congratulations on the baby! I know it's easy to stress over a pregnancy- been there. I worried so much that I didn't enjoy the pregnancy. Try to hang in there if you can like the doc says. But know many women on meds deliver healthy babies. I know early on, it's best to stay away from what you can. Grab a few baby books and read up on how that precious little one is growing! Look over baby names. There's tons of info the web. Hopefully, that might take the edge off. Good luck to you!

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:29 pm

congratulations on your wonderful blessing. i understand completely. 1 have been blessed with 2 beautiful children my son is 4 and my daughter is just 6 months. i did not suffer any anxiety with my son but my daughter was a whole new ball game. the anxiety and panic attacks were just awful i had trouble having any positive thoughts at all. i was so petrified that i was going to die and leave my children that i had trouble functioning. everyone got tired of listening to my crazy thoughts and feelings that i stopped saying anything at all and let me tell you that made it a thousand times worse. i did not enjoy my pregnancy at all i wasnt sure if it was my hormones or i was just going crazy. i prayed all day everyday. as i look back now knowing what i know now. i made 2 huge mistakes the biggest one is not just letting go and letting God he got me through what i didnt think i would because i didnt think i deserved it but he was by my side probably even carring me most if not all of the way and the second was i stopped talking to everyone about how i was feeling. you know sometimes all it takes is just to say what you are feeling and that in itself makes things feel better even if its only for alittle while you atleast have that peace. please know you are not alone i understand and will listen anytime. you have been given such a wonderful blessing enjoy it everything will really be ok

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:32 pm

Maybe you can talk to someone who knows about herbs that can relax you without affecting the baby. Recently I had to get off my medications because of a swollen lymph node, which was a side effect. I have been off medication for about 2 weeks and I am taking herbs for now. I am surprised that I am doing ok. Also I have started going to church and praying more along with doing this program. I have not been following it like I should, but do try to do a little bit each night.

Also consider that hormones change a lot during pregnancy and can alter your moods.

Best wishes and God bless.

Angie

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:11 am

THANK YOU! to everyone that responded!! i am feeling very scared and knowing there are other women out there makes a world of difference. Somebody out there tell me it gets better after the first trimester!

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:19 am

Hello, and congrats on the baby! I have a nine month old little girl, my first, and let me tell you, once you're a mom, you never stop worrying! What is not natural, however, is worrying inordinately. I found that when I was pregnant, the first trimester was the worst. You feel sick, you're hormonal, and everything is very new. And scary! The second trimester will be tons better! You will feel better, and you'll get to the point where the pregnancy is considered viable and good to go. I think once you hit 12 weeks, your chances of any big medical problems drop to almost nothing. You'll also get a cute belly! It seems hard, but try to relax and enjoy - soon you'll be trying to cope with a little one that walks, babbles, and throws food!

dawfai

Post by dawfai » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:03 pm

Hello! Interesting to read everyone's imput. I am 14 weeks now and in my 2nd trimester. The physical symptoms have gotten better , morning sickness etc. But in the last few weeks my anxiety symptoms seem to be coming back . I have been having some negitive thoughts and obsessing about them. Not so much about pregnancy or labor but mostly about when the baby comes home and is home alone with me. Would I do something crazy or hurt them etc. I don't know where they come from. And I do just want to be excited and enjoy my pregnancy and all that is to come. I think it may be just fears over becoming a new parent and all the changes. Maybe being overwhelmed. It is scary . I wish I never even had these thoughts at all they just kind of pop in my head. I can relate to what you've all said. Any advice on how to take these thoughts. Or deal with them and stop them. I wonder how common this is to have these kind of thoughts while pregnant?

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:15 am

ocean1, you should never abruptly stop taking medication. You're probably experiencing withdrawal. You need to wean your body off the meds.

The dr. should at least give you something else to take to lessen withdrawal. I was on Buspar the whole time I was pregnant and there are other meds that are safe to take while pregnant. You should at least take something temporarily to lessen withdrawal, and then stop taking the med (wean).

Try to focus on keeping your growing baby healthy. That was a huge motivator for me and also distracted me from being anxious as I was determined to protect my baby from my stress, etc.

Congratulations on the pregnancy!!

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:33 am

Hey! Thirysomething, Im on my second child. Im 17 weeks. My daughter is six and im starting over (as i like to say). With my daughter i was worried about birth i was young and dumb.....but with this baby im having the same thoughts as you.... will i hurt it? can i do this? and so on. but everytime i start thinking like that i walk to the mirror look at myself and say i love this baby more than myself i wouldnt do that. then i get busy looking at names writing in the baby book or i just sit on the couch and talk to him/her. i think i is normal to have these feeling....its the most scary time of our lifes.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:24 pm

Thanks so much it's nice to hear I am not alone! I felt like such a bad person for having these kinds of thoughts , and wondering if they could be true. I will try some of the things you've been doing to get through those scary times!

Return to “Parent to Parent”