Anyone have an easy Pregnancy?

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
clearsky27

Post by clearsky27 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:51 pm

DukeR...reading your post was like reading a transcript of my own thoughts! My husband and I have been ready to start a family for over 2 years now...but my anxiety has prevented us/me from moving forward. I am weaning myself off of Zoloft currently and should be off completely in another week or so. One of the replies to your post said that doctors did not recommend anti-depressants during the first part of pregnancy, but my doctor recommended the opposite. She said that taking Zoloft during the final trimester could lead to muscle stiffness and withdrawl symptoms in the newborn. I had been on Lexapro, but switched to Zoloft on my doctor's recommendation when she knew we were planning more seriously on starting a family. She mentioned that Zoloft had been studied more extensively in pregnant women and newborns. I have another doc's appt soon to get a second opinion.
The way I look at it now, the anxiety is going to get worse (been there, done that, hate it, but know at some point I will see the other side), or it will stay the same/improve (hopefully with this program it will improve). I have anxiety and depression in my family, so I have also grappled with the guilt of creating offspring that may have to deal with some similar issues as I or my family have had. A post I read a few days ago was encouraging. It basically said that we are learning so many healthy living skills, coping skills, etc. and where our anxiety came from, that it will help us to educate our children in order to break the cycle of anxiety and depression. That really resonated with me.
Like you, my husband and I are officially "trying" this month. We'll see. I'd love to keep this chat up! Thank you all for your insight and responses!

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:06 pm

Kv07

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:07 pm

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to send that.
Wanted to let you know that I have two babies, two and four. When I got pregnant again with my two year old, my doctor told me the same thing that yours did and that was

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:14 pm

lol. I did it again.

Anyway, I don't know if you've read anything I've posted about this, so if I'm repeating myself, I'm sorry. My doc said as yours did about there's been more studied with the Zoloft. I was soo soo scared to be on Zoloft during my pregnancy, especially since it was in the first trimester, which he said they usually don't like to do, but my little guy is fantastic and I was told by my doctor, OB and my psyciatrist who specializes in meds that it's worse on the baby, creates more risk to the baby if you're not on medication than to have the anxiety. Thank God I did because it saved me from my anxiety. Now, after I had him, along with my first is a whole other story. My anxiety went through the roof. Also, the postpartum depression that kicks in for me. That's when I very first started with my anxiety problems and depression is after my first baby. Haven't beat it since. The Zoloft made me sweat though, but I made it through. I weaned off the Zoloft one time, and it was fine. But I've been on different things this time trying to get away from the sweating. I hope this helps! let me know if you have any questions. Be glad to be there for you now and/or during your pregnancy. I think that after I had my babies, I was and am so fearful of anything happening to them. I know reality is they'll be fine, but the fear was horrible. I'm still not exactly sure how all this kicked in. Let me know...

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:04 am

KC07- Good luck with everything and please keep me posted. I am so glad that I found this website because it is so nice to discuss with yall because you understand!!! and we are in the same boat in one form or another. Sometimes it is so hard because even though your friends are great and my husband is so supportive but they dont understand how you truly feel inside. My panic attacks are very physical and when I get them for a couple days afterwards, my confidence goes down. Does anyone else feel that way? I have been truly lucky that I have not dealt with depression just the panic disorder but man it has been a long road. KCO7, did you your doctor say that you could start trying while weaning off the Xanax?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:12 pm

hi alison,
my 3 pregnancies were awful. some people have good ones. some people have bad ones. i had bad ones. believe me, it's all worth it in the end and it doesn't last forever, even though you feel like it!
get lots of sleep, that helps.
jeanie

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Originally posted by Jeanie Nicole:
hi alison,
my 3 pregnancies were awful. some people have good ones. some people have bad ones. i had bad ones. believe me, it's all worth it in the end and it doesn't last forever, even though you feel like it!
get lots of sleep, that helps.
jeanie
When should I get this sleep? While I'm pregnant or after? lol

I'm guessing while I'm pregnant cause I won't be getting any sleep once we have children, huh?

Alison

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks for all the posts! It is so comforting to know that there are others out there! My doctors are okay with me weaning off Zoloft and trying...although in my own mind, I'd rather not be on any medication during pregnancy. I've been slowly coming to accept that it may be a possibilitly...and the more I accept it, the less anxious I am about it all. I am only on Zoloft now, taking 1/2 of 25mg per day. I am not on Xanax - tried it once and never again! For me, the side effects were worse than the panic. Thanks again for all the info and advice!
Cheers
KC

Return to “Parent to Parent”