Anyone have an easy Pregnancy?

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:02 am

My anxiety was horrible during my pregnancy which in turned my doctor said it was worse for me not take medication, so I did and my kids are healthy, happy, vibrant and just fine. And I still suffer from anxiety.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:14 am

the reason why I ask is because I have been to my doctor and she said that she would really like me off everything when I start trying and am pregnant. she said that if I do get axiety/panic attacks that taking a xanax every once in a while is not bad. I have had two friends have very healthy babies and they both were on zoloft.

Do any of you suffer from panic attacks?

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 am

Hi suffer from anxiety, yes. You might want to look into taking the Xanax while pregnant, especially during the first trimester. Xanax is a narcotic. My doctor told me no to that. In fact, I see a psychiatrist, who specializes in medication for things such as panic, etc., and I don't know about that. Get a second opinion, my friend. I was so scared to go on Zoloft during my pregancy. They say not to do it during the beginning, but I had to. A lot of women's panic or anxiety stops during their pregnancy and they were hoping it would for me too, but it was the opposite. Have thought of doing yoga while pregnant? I've gone and looked into it and attended twice and I know that'll be great for my problems. Helps you learn how to focus on other things, etc. Plus the excercise is great for you and preparing for your delivery. I wasn't able and still not able because I have no one to watch the kids and my husband isn't much help.
Are you pregnant now or planning?

mack

Post by mack » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:45 am

I had two pregnancies that were anxiety free, but that was of course before my panic attacks kicked in 3 years ago. I am now 6 1/2 months pregnant and have had to take Prozac and Klonopin for the whole pregnancy. Unfortunately, this pregnancy amplified my anxiety about 200 times in the beginning, to full crisis mode.

My doctor also advised that the panic attacks were far worse for the baby than the medications, and my psychiatrist and ob work very closely together on my medication regimen. So far my baby boy and I are tolerating the meds beautifully and we are both happy and healthy. I will try to wean the Prozac a little in a month or so (with the help of my docs) as Prozac can apparently cause a day of withdrawal for the baby, but my docs have stressed to me that this is rare, and if weaning causes my anxiety to get worse it is far better for both of us to be on it.

Good luck to all of you for happy, healthy pregnancies and babies!!!

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:37 am

I'm not currently pregnant. I have a two and four year old and they're both healthy. I still suffer from depression/anxiety, but my kids are happy and fine. And bttrfly is right, the anxiety is worse for the baby than you. Plus, if you have a great husband, it'll make things a lot easier. I didn't and still don't. I should say, he doesn't understand my anxiety and depression. I'm alone in this world. It's nice to read all the notes from and about everyone, but it's still not someone right here for you.

Mom of 6

Post by Mom of 6 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:44 am

Oh, Tracy!! I'm so sorry to read that, how hard it must be to feel alone like that. You can PM me anytime you want to talk, I'd love to listen!!!

:) Tara
"O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you;my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is BETTER than life,my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalms 63

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:06 am

I hate to hear that too and please feel free to write anytime. I am not pregnant yet nor have I started trying. We really would like to start trying this month and next week I will be done with the Xanax!! I hope weaning off the Lexapro will not be that bad. My panic attacks are very physical so that is why the xanax helps so much. I know it is all in my mind which is hard because I just want to shut it off when the anxiety kicks in.
I do exercise and have been a lot more, I love it. It is a good void for the anxiety. I have started to do yoga and do like it but really what has been helping me is praying and mediation. I just need to continue to work on these things, it is frustrating! My pyschriatist things that once I am pregnant, my axiety will go away. I sure hope he is right!

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:48 am

Oh, DukeR, I hope the doctor's right aobut your anxiety when you get pregnant.
Thank you DukeR and Bttrfly for your words. I think most of my problem is that I'm just so lonely.
I don't know what PM is though. Is that what we're doing now? And how do I go about finding someone?

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:07 am

Thank you, I do too and sure hope it does not take too long. I feel like these panic atacks and anxiety I have been dealing with for 7 years has been enough. you know?

clearsky27

Post by clearsky27 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:51 pm

DukeR...reading your post was like reading a transcript of my own thoughts! My husband and I have been ready to start a family for over 2 years now...but my anxiety has prevented us/me from moving forward. I am weaning myself off of Zoloft currently and should be off completely in another week or so. One of the replies to your post said that doctors did not recommend anti-depressants during the first part of pregnancy, but my doctor recommended the opposite. She said that taking Zoloft during the final trimester could lead to muscle stiffness and withdrawl symptoms in the newborn. I had been on Lexapro, but switched to Zoloft on my doctor's recommendation when she knew we were planning more seriously on starting a family. She mentioned that Zoloft had been studied more extensively in pregnant women and newborns. I have another doc's appt soon to get a second opinion.
The way I look at it now, the anxiety is going to get worse (been there, done that, hate it, but know at some point I will see the other side), or it will stay the same/improve (hopefully with this program it will improve). I have anxiety and depression in my family, so I have also grappled with the guilt of creating offspring that may have to deal with some similar issues as I or my family have had. A post I read a few days ago was encouraging. It basically said that we are learning so many healthy living skills, coping skills, etc. and where our anxiety came from, that it will help us to educate our children in order to break the cycle of anxiety and depression. That really resonated with me.
Like you, my husband and I are officially "trying" this month. We'll see. I'd love to keep this chat up! Thank you all for your insight and responses!

Return to “Parent to Parent”