Want to get pregnant but scared of pregnancy symptoms

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Nina4

Post by Nina4 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:48 pm

jasminemody...

I think you may want to seek out another doctor's opinion as well. Hopefully a psych doctor is helping with the seroquel, and potential side effects. I know you'll need an OB doc for pregnancy consult (which you can do now)as well. They may need to work in conjunction with each other a little bit for you. I have a daughter (17)with bipolar and without medication functioning would be impossible, yes there are things to deal with (and I think this program can help) but Bipolar is Different than regular anxiety and depression. One medication that helps her is Abilify ~7.5mg along with Lithium. You'll have to be under really good care if/when pregnant and know what the plan is after the baby as well, going on /changing medication again etc. Babies can be stressful so you'll want to be as stable as possible. Good docs that specialize in this illness can be very helpful. One thing I remember Lucinda saying on her tapes is try not to have any major changes until you finish the program. Good luck and put your goals on paper!

jasminemody

Post by jasminemody » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:06 am

Hi Nina! Thanks for your help. You can call me Jasmine. I am so glad that you can relate to this. I am only on one medication and that is Seroquel. I have been on it for about 2 years now and I have seriously tried weening myself off of it, and I can't do it. My doctor thinks that I am not dealing with my feelings in an appropriate matter. Like if a family member says something that bothers me, I would just take it in and then pay for it later by having anxiety. My family is very negative in that my mother and my aunt are always commenting about my weight and I am 27 years old, about 135 pounds. I do not think that is a lot. I look pretty helathy and do not look overweight. I mean, I could use some toning, but nothing that bad. I really just think I need to take a break from my family because it is them who is stressing me out so much. You d think that my mother would care about my feelings, but she is too wrapped up into how other people view me and what others think of me. This is how it is in the Indian society, even though we are living in America and have been for like 20 years.

jasminemody

Post by jasminemody » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:08 am

O and Nina, you know what I remembered from one of the tapes? I heard Lucinda say "This isn't one of those illnesses that you HAVE to take medicine for like bipolar disorder or schizophrenia". Does anyone else remember that part in the tapes?

Tish777

Post by Tish777 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:18 am

Oh my word... reading the one about you being petrifiedof vomiting is increadible!!!
I thought i was the only one!!! I would loe to add you on skype or something because people think im crazy and it would be so great if I could share my anxiety about thiswith someone who truly understands!!! I am also planning on getting pregnamt soon and i am a nervous wreck about it!!!!

Reyjany

Post by Reyjany » Sun May 31, 2009 10:02 am

Hi,

I had the same anxiety before my 2 kids. I want to let you know that most emetophobics will have a strong tolerance to nausea, and it was the case for me. I had 2 pregnancies with severe morning sickness (nausea) and 2 C-sections (more nausea) but I NEVER vomited. The last pregnancy, I had morning sickness up to the morning I delivered my baby.

KellySue

Post by KellySue » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:12 am

Very comforting to see posts regarding these fears. Though many say they are normal fears on pregnancy, it still gets to me. My husband and I are currently getting closer to officially trying to have a baby and the mixed emotions I have are strong. One day I feel strong the next day I worry about illness, money, pain, depression. Any tips on how to make yourself stay positive would be great! I keep repeating positive things, but the negative is always deep inside!

hi,my name is stephanie

Post by hi,my name is stephanie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:58 pm

hi,my name is stephanie for one thing getting pregnancy is the best thing ever when i found that i was pregnancy i was scared but now it is the best thing that could ever happen to me in my life time, think positive to what you want in your life and if you think that you will get what you want, like me i wenting to have a girl and i get a daughter so whatever you went you and you husband think positive not negative.

stephanie
yes

kamb

Post by kamb » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:34 am

Hello everyone! I have yet to find anyone with the same phobias as me to talk to. I have a severe phobia of blood, needles, docotors, any sort of poking and proding! I often will vomit or pass out cold just having blood drawn or dudring my regular obgyn visits. Just walking into a hospital makes me extremely nervous. I really want to have children, I just don't know if it's possible with this condition I have. It's not like it came from a bad experience or anything, I was just born with this phobia, my Dad is exactly the same way! I am really scared of what will happen to me during pregnancy and child birth. What will happen to my baby if I freak out and panic everytime I go for my checkups? What will happen to me during childbirth? Can I go into shock? Will it kill me? Has anyone else with this same phobia had children before?
Sorry this is so long!
Thanks for any help

luvpiggy

Post by luvpiggy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:59 am

Hi,

I can't say that I have the same phobia, and I hope my responding doesn't stop someone else who does from responding, but I bet that if you ask your health care providers they will be very knowledgeable about it and how to deal with it. I would even go ahead and talk to your OBGYN. It just seems like someone fainting at the sight of blood is a common phobia.

Also, if you panicked every time you went to the doctor, etc. you would not go into shock and die. Also, not every check up involves needles, etc. Most of the time for me it was a urine sample, weighing, blood pressure, and the doctor would measure my belly, let us hear the heartbeat, etc. There were times to have blood drawn, etc.

I'll be honest that I had gestational diabetes where I had to have blood drawn to check my sugar every two weeks. However, a test that did not involve needles determined that first.

It would be an issue, but I just wanted you to know that you wouldn't always have an in depth exam, some times would be harder than others...and you would be unhappy but you will not die.

Also, with the "being born" that way, it is possible, but your dad is that way too so you could have learned it from him for certain. Kids can really pick up on parent's fears. Also, just because you were born that way doesn't mean there isn't hope:).

Finally, look into hypnotherapy. If I get pregnant again, I want to look at that option for labor, and I would be more anxious because I have son who has autism so I want to be able to use hypnosis to help me with pregnancy.

Take care,
luvpiggy

kamb

Post by kamb » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:54 pm

Thank you luvpiggy for you reply. It makes sence that I have probably learned this response from my Dad. I was just so young when it first happened that I don't remember. I have been doing some research and what I'm experiencing seems to be called vasovagal syncope, which is very rarely fatal in needle phobes like myself. I think that you have to have some other heart complications or something for it to actually kill you. I still can't help but be scared of something going wrong. Can the stress and passing out during doctors visits actually cause me to misscarriage? I would love to hear form other women with this phobia who have had children. How did you deal with it? Did it cause complications?

Also, to Stephanie, I have been taking the good days supplement packets for months now and they work wonders, I have even gone off my lexapro! I still have problems in high stress evironments or times, but for everyday general anxiety and depression they are great. Unfortunately it says that you cannont take them while pregnant :(

Return to “Parent to Parent”