Post Partum Depression

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
nikki1981

Post by nikki1981 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:22 am

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with post-partum depression. I have always dealt with mild anxiety, but now, with a 9 month old, a career, and a home to maintain, I think I have post-partum depression. I have lost my sense of "self"; I'm just mom, employee, and wife. Not me anymore! Does anybody have any insights?

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:16 am

Nikki1981

I can definitely relate! Although my children are a little older now-son (6 1/2), daughter (4), I know exactly what you are talking about. Actually, awhile ago I posted about the book "Down Came the Rain" by Brooke Shields. It was a great read. I wish I had read it before I had kids. I was okay after my son was born, although he had some issues with a birth injury and I had to take him to a children's hospital for a year after his birth. But he recovered and I got pregnant with my daughter when he was like two years old. As soon as I had her (C-section), I knew something was wrong, but I was so embarassed and guilty that I didn't tell anyone. Yes, I was afraid they would think I was crazy and a bad mom. I remember looking at her pink balloons in the hospital but I felt soooo numb and well, not happy. Things got worse. I had little patience and I was sure she was picking up on my nervousness and irritability. It wasn't till she was almost a year old and I could not sleep or eat that I finally 'lost' it. I went to the doctor and was put on a antidepressant for awhile. I wished I had done that sooner. But, I soon starting feeling better and once I came out of that, I finally felt that familiar bond that a mother should have with her child.

Now, I can't tell from your post (and of course I am not a doctor) if you have post partum or not. But I am a stay at home Mom and believe me, even when I got better and even after this program, there are days I feel that loss of "self" too. I just realize to take it easy and watch my stress level. Eat good, exercise and treat myself to some much needed alone time! Being a mom nowadays is hard no matter who you are. I hope this helps and realize no matter what you are feeling today is not always how you are going to feel tomorrow.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:17 pm

Hello Nikki:
I think, strongly, that if you can take at least 1/2 day off just to do what you really want to do (no matter what you do as long as it is something that you want to do for yourself.) that it would benefit you, your baby and maybe your husband. But the main thing is that it help YOU.
I have a reason for advising this. I had 3 babies by time I was 23 1/2. I had no help.
To make this story very short I'll just tell you that I was very tired and crabby most of the time. It never occured to me to have a day off.
Looking back (I have great-grandchildren now) I can see the mistakes that I made. And I learn from others and reading.
I think it is essentiial that you take some time off to be that special person that you are.
Your baby will love it!!!
And if you can possibly afford it , try to get some help with the house. Have someone come in
at least 1/2 day every other week. I don't think these kinds of things are a luxury. I think mother's need this help.
Best wishes are coming your way!!!
MJ

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:20 pm

Karmerri:
I had all those symptoms , too. It has been a very long time ago.
But I remember.
MJ

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:10 am

Thank you to all that responded to me! It is so nice to feel like I'm not alone in this. I will definitely try to take some time for me, I have never thought of taking a "day off". And you all are right, I'm sure my little one does pick up on my moods, so she'll be happier too if I'm happy! I'm going to try that, thanks again!

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:42 am

I had ppd three times after all 3 of my children. I am sure it was triggered by hormonal changes. Each time it occurred about 3-4 months after giving birth. The first time was the worst as I started with panic attacks. I started on medication about 6 years ago and I have been on varying doses ever since, but the medications help as well as I have learned alot about cognitive therapy and started these cds several years after the initial diagnoses. I still remember the day the light went on with my daughter (the day the meds started working) and we just connected. Don't worry about your daughter picking up on your anxiety/dep.,you are getting help and she will be just fine. When you are feeling upset, just focus on only her, nothing else, not the house the job or anything- I find that that really helps. Yes, you defintely need time for yourself. Ask your husband to help you be "off duty" for a while, even at home. Take a bath, read a book in your bedroom, take a nap, exercise. Also decrease your expectations of yourself, you are accomplishing alot with a baby, a career and a house, but I know sometimes it doesn't feel like it. Keep note of all the things that you feel good about in your life and those things that you are grateful for. I try to remember that every day. Take care, you will feel better!! Don't forget that.

Panic Attack Lance

Post by Panic Attack Lance » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 am

Nikki, I looked up the symptoms of PPD and thought that might help you.

What are the symptoms?
A woman who has postpartum depression may:

Feel very sad, hopeless, and empty. Some women also may feel anxious.
Lose pleasure in everyday things.
Not feel hungry and may lose weight. (But some women feel more hungry and gain weight).
Have trouble sleeping.
Not be able to concentrate.

Here is a little more info. Hope it helps!

How is postpartum depression diagnosed?
Your doctor will do a physical exam and ask about your symptoms.

Be sure to tell your doctor about any feelings of baby blues at your first checkup after the baby is born. Your doctor will want to follow up with you to see how you are feeling.

How is it treated?
Postpartum depression is treated with counseling and antidepressant medicines. Women with milder depression may be able to get better with counseling alone. But many women need counseling and medicine. Some antidepressants are considered safe for women who breast-feed.

To help yourself get better, make sure to eat well, get some exercise every day, and get as much sleep as possible. Seek support from family and friends if you can.

Try not to feel bad about yourself for having this illness. It doesn't mean you're a bad mother. Many women have postpartum depression. It may take time, but you can get better with treatment.

Zoe_M

Post by Zoe_M » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:22 am

Hello Nikki,

I have read that you think you may have postpartum depression. I am currently going through this. It was a week ago when I diagnosed myself. I never had problems with anxiety or nerves until I was 33 weeks pregnant and one day on my way home from work I had a panic attack. I went to my ob doctor twice a week during the end of my pregnancy telling them something is wrong with me, I do not feel like myself and told them all of my symptoms but numerous times they said "go home and just relax." It is not that easy if you have been through it. The feelings just don't go away no matter how positive you try to be. I am going to see a physcologist tomorrow and am trying to get into a postpartum depression support group so I can share my stories with other moms so they know they are not the only person feeling like this and it will get better. Anyways postpartum depression can start 6 weeks before the end of your pregnancy and can happen anytime during the first year after pregnancy. I looked up all of the symptoms.
agitation, anxiety, guilt, headaches, insomnia, lack of motivation, low sex drive, depression, forgetfulness, hopelessness, irritability, panic attacks, confusion, dizziness, fatigue, inability to concentrate, lack of energy, low self esteem, mood swings and the list goes on. During the last 2 and a half months I have experienced everyone of these symptoms at some point so I said gee that must be what is wrong with me (I am just glad to know it has a name & I am not crazy after all.) I have also researched hormone imbalance and everyone of the symptoms listed above are also symptoms of a hormone imbalance. You may want to go to the doctor and have them do a saliva test to check you if you have any of these symptoms. Don't make yourself think you have these problems. Most of these symptoms if you do have them is because you are working, taking care of kids and a house. Just make sure you are in sink with your body. You know when something is wrong and does not feel right. If you have any questions about postpartum depression feel free to ask. I have spent weeks researching.

Return to “Parent to Parent”