Teenager with Anxiety/Panic Disorder

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Don57

Post by Don57 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:31 pm

It sounds to me like you are doing an excellent job with her. Loving support is what we need as well as a loving kick in the behind to get us to do the work to recover. This may appear as all bad right now, but there is another way to view all of this.

The good news is she is working with therapy, CBT, at a very young age which has the potential to keep her in good emotional health with as little downside risk as possible for the rest of her life. I didn't come across it until I was 50. I struggled for decades. So, perhaps short term she may suffer some negative consequences, but long term she has a bright future ahead of her.

If she can experience just one "light bulb" moment where she notices the therapy is helpng that could be all she needs to really dive into it. If she finds help in the therapy now, she can go on to college and hopefully won't have such difficulties then. If she does go to college, no one is going to look at her high school record, and therefore, all the negative consequences are short lived. If she doesn't, and she recovers significantly, that can be a plus on a resume as well showing how resourceful she was in overcoming a very significant problem. I think you should be proud of yourself for how you are dealing with this. I think both you and her will come through this with flying colors.
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger, the smarter, the faster hand; But sooner or later the person who wins is the one who thinks "I can." Author Unknown

http://dp19032k9.webs.com

panicmom

Post by panicmom » Thu May 22, 2008 9:24 am

Thank you for your kind words and support. As a "recovered" panicmom, I still have to deal with my perfectionistic tendencies. I want to do everything right, make it perfect, be the perfect mom, have the perfect kids. Her recovery is going in the right direction. You're right, the outcome will be up to her and the hard work we've started may save her the later pain.

I have been blessed with becoming reacquainted with a friend from years ago who has suffered from panic recently. Knowing what we were going through, she gave me the tapes and said here, she has this, this will help her, I know she can get better if you both follow the program. How funny that certain people come into your life when you need them the most sometimes . . . Instead of going on and assuming that we were just dealing with a bad attitude, hypochondria, school truancy, defiance, we switched our tactics and now call it what it is--anxiety, and what a cloud lifted when we talked to her school counselor and told the teachers exactly what is going on. They have been wonderful and are willing to work with her and let us give her makeup tests and quizzes at home, although we still do not know what to do about finals yet. Nice to know that the help is there if needed.

I know we are on the right track and who knows what bumps in the road we may face, but at least it's going forward. At least that's how I feel today!

MargieP

Post by MargieP » Sat May 31, 2008 12:11 pm

Sorry I don't know anyone in KC but after I did Lucinda's program I went through a CBT program that put me over the top of my anxiety and panic etc. Have your son read the book called Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz and have him start countering his thoughts in a TEA form every morning and I bet he will start feeling better soon. It's a real simple exercise once you get the hang of it and the book is short and easy to comprehend because the author was a longtime suffer like Lucinda.

drg

Post by drg » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:01 pm

KCSAG, I live close to Kansas City. I have had problems with anxiety for most of my life (I'm 47). I've gone through the Program three times and have seen wonderful changes in my life because of it. Right now, though, I have been experiencing difficulties with anxiety again because of the events going on in my life. My oldest son is being deployed to Afghanistan for 18 months. My youngest just graduated from high school and will be going off to college in Cleveland, Ohio. So, my fears are caused by the war and by the empty nest syndrome.

It would be of help to me to be of help to someone else. If I could help you and/or your son, please let me know.

As far as a psychologist or a psychiatrist, I don't know of one who deals specifically with teenagers or anxiety. But, if you have a church, ask your minister/priest for some suggestions. I always find help at church in almost all situations.

Take care.

Debbie

cole2458

Post by cole2458 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:36 am

hi everyone, i can totally relate to your kids-i'm 19, graduated from high school last year, but spent the last 3 months being home-schooled because of my panic that turned into agoraphobia. all of what you are saying is on the right track-working with the school is REALLY important, keeping them updated, talking to the teachers and counselors. my school counselor wasn't so great, but the principal was very understanding and was able to get all the teachers on the same page. as for that whole 'tough love' approach, i personally believe it will only make your kids feel more isolated from you. right now, they probably feel like a total weirdo (i know i did/do) and they don't understand themselves let alone think anyone else does. my stepdad would do the tough love thing all the time-say no excuses, you have to go to the store/restaurant/school/etc. and you have to stay no matter how bad you feel. that only caused me to feel more like he didn't understand or didn't care to understand plus i would panic more because i felt so trapped.
there are a bunch of teens/young adults out there with this problem. i've had this problem since 8th grade, so they are not alone. remind them of that, and remind them that this is not their fault and that you are frustrated at the situation and not at them. that's the best advice i can give.
good luck! :)
...and right when she thought the world was ending, the catepillar became a beautiful butterfly...

Return to “Parent to Parent”