Hearing loss in my 5 year old

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Faith_TX

Post by Faith_TX » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:35 pm

I'm wondering if any of you other moms have experienced hearing problems in your children. I just got back from the ENT doctor. We were mainly wanting to talk about problems with snoring and stuffy nose, but also he's scored as having moderate hearing loss on his hearing.

We have been told that he has moderate sensoneural hearing loss. This is permanent. It is only moderate, so we won't need hearing aides right now.

We will be going back in a month to have another test (we've already had two). If this shows up still having a problem, we'll need to go through CAT scan, EKG, and bloodwork to find out why this occurred. The best case scenario would be that it is something that would stay the same and since it's not that bad, he would just get a little amplifier to use at times. His problem is mainly with low range sounds, or times with background noise.

This is not caused by any structural problem or fluid (which was what I was hoping for). It is neurological.

There's also a chance that it could be a component of something called Jervell and Lange-Nielson syndrome which can cause severe heart problems. He doesn't think that's the case, however, since his hearing loss is not severe. But, we have to test him just to be sure.

Anyone experience this with their kids? I don't know anything about hearing problems, other than what my father had when he was elderly.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
~~ Ronald Reagan

Want2FeelGoodAgain

Post by Want2FeelGoodAgain » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:11 pm

When I was 7 I was diagnosed with something called Meniers Disease, and suffered for about 3 yrs with it, then many different treatments, mostly just for symptoms. I'm now 38, the hearing loss is moderate, and permanent, but all other symptoms are gone. I hope and will say prayers that the damage is done, and will not progress in your sons case any further. Kids bounce back and compensate quickly when hearing loss occurs in childhood. I've never found it to slow me down since :)
One day at a time is the fastest we can go......

Faith_TX

Post by Faith_TX » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks. I'm anxious to figure out what it is. We go back next week for a hearing test and then if that fails again we'll have some more testing. It doesn't seem to bother him much. He's a little chatterbox. :)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
~~ Ronald Reagan

Return to “Parent to Parent”