Anxious/OCD Mom to be...

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Luli

Post by Luli » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:01 am

Hi everyone....I am experiencing obssessive scary thoughts now that I am pregnant. It is not voices, but the thoughts come to my head and just tell me what ifs...I am so scared and hopeless. i am on celexa for 6 weeks now, and I do feel much better than before, but sometimes I have my very low days like today. I think I made a mistake of getting pregnant, that I wont be able to take care of my baby, that my life wont be the same, that I would hurt him...this is so scary. I dont believe in my thoughts but it makes me feel sad, very sad. I was so happy 5 weeks ago, glowing happy! Now after my first panick attack came along my anxiety started as well. I want to be a good mom, I want to enjoy my son, I dont want to be scared anymore...I love my baby and I am so sure i didnt make a mistake, but why do i think like this????? Please, any mom out there that went through the same experience during pregnancy?? Please help...my thoughts are awful and I am sick of them, I just want to enjoy my pregnancy. Thank you

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:37 am

Luli I am not a mom! But I was just down at my folks house with my nieces n nephew, wow holding little Taylor was the best!!:) I can't wait to see you as a mommy! You will be the best mommy to your son and you will love him to NO end!!! So many ugly and scary thoughts can plague us at times, BUT you will be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo AWESOME! Please TRUST yourself and let those thoughts just drift off. You are obsessing and that is the ONLY reason why this is happening. We all love you and support you with ALL of our HEARTS!
Last edited by Chief Crazy Horse on Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodlydrummerJames

Post by GodlydrummerJames » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:08 am

Hi Luli, First of all try to remember these are "thoughts only thoughts". I have three grown children and three granddaughters. Yes, I do remember with each pregnancy wondering how the hec I was gonna be able to do this "mommy" thing!!! I had anxiety/panic through it all also. Well, I can tell you with each baby it became more natural. When you look into their eyes the love you feel is indescribable. Allow yourself to feel anxious right now. This is your first baby, and sure you're scared. Your life will change...but for the better, I promise you. Of course with our anxiety/panic disorder, these thoughts and feelings are so magnified. But, you can control them. Everytime you think these negative thoughts, put up the stop sign and go to a positive one. Let your feelings of anxiety/panic flow and know it will pass. It cannot hurt you. You are strong and the more you practice this the better you will get at it. Stay in the moment and let each day of your pregnancy be exciting. Look at this as an exciting time for you.

You will be a wonderful, loving, sensitive mommy because us anxiety sufferers are blessed with these terrific attributes. Also don't forget the hormones are kicked up right now and can make you feel sad sometimes. It's okay though. It's perfectly normal.

Try so hard to enjoy these moments. Your son is going to be one lucky little boy with a mommy who can meet all his needs because she will understand how he feels every minute. Not everyone is blessed with these qualities. Thank God you are. You are special and he will feel this every day of his life.

So what if you have panic/anxiety!!! You are learning to control that with the tools of this program. Just BE who you are, don't try to DO everything.

I know you will find motherhood to be the best experience of your life. Just love you and watch the rest unfold.

God Bless,

Donna

Return to “Parent to Parent”