Anti-anxiety meds and pregnancy

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
lucie

Post by lucie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:56 am

Hi there,
Just took a pregnancy test and was positive (both last night and this am). I take Xanax as needed. Called my physician to prescribe something else, but is there anything else or am I on my own the next 9 months? I take it for anxiety and panic attacks, usually only .12 mg at a time. I was also suggested to take Lexapro but with a 4 year old have been totally scared to start it. Anyone else in the same situation with any advice?

Amy Steckler

Post by Amy Steckler » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:10 am

Hey Lucie, my name is Amy and i to am pregnant. I currently do not take meds because I freak myself out but my doctor did prescribe me prozac. It is one of the safest meds to take while pregnant. I am not sure about xanax, some say its bad others have taken it while pregnant. I have ativan if I need it but honestly haven't had to take it. I want to let you know that no matter what you decide you can do it. Being pregnant is hard at times but it is so worth it. I didn't think I could make it but I am now almost 26 weeks and am doing fine. Remember GOD wouldn't give you anything that you can't handle!!!! You will be a great mommy!!!! There is no greater gift than a baby!!!! If you need anything at all just let me know.

Amy

LeeAnn Sanzo

Post by LeeAnn Sanzo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:45 am

Hey Lucie, I've had alot of bad side effects from Xanax, Zoloft, lexapro and there's another one that you take when you're having an anxiety attack ( I think it starts with a k) but, when you read the side effects of half these medications, the thought of being on them is quite daunting..I have found for myself..none of these medications really helped the anxiety, they just made me feel out of my mind and they never really stopped the anxiety..I've tried to find healthy alternatives, such as staying away from caffeine and sugar, eating foods that help anxiety ..such as spinach, walnuts..exercising regularly and drinking chamomile tea..which is a very natural tea that calms your nervous system. Also, eating turkey or drinking warm milk..which has natural tryptophan in it to help make you sleepy if you need to sleep..I know God has given us things naturally to help us with the problems of life and I try to read up on everything I can to help get healthy the natural way. Many blessings with the new baby..and I'm excited I'm only 41, but I'm going to be a young grandmom in August, my first grandchild.Also, I have a great book called the Food Bible, by Judith Wills that has great advice on healthy foods and cures for common ailments..it also says that Vitamin B is very important for the nervous system..Hope this helps..Natural methods have helped me.
marie123

lucie

Post by lucie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:01 am

HI Amy and LeeAnn, thank you both for the great advice. I've been practicing yoga with the program, and reading everything I can about anxiety and depression without meds. In my last pregnancy, the increase in hormones actually curbed my anxiety really well, so I am hopeful this time will do the same. Appreciate all your advice.
Lucie

FeliciaC

Post by FeliciaC » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:54 am

Hi LeeAnn:

I was online reading the responses to Lucie and I have to say that your response was a very caring one. You took the time to help her and I was so impressed. I have just started Lucinda's program and am just kind of skimming thru things on this site. I feel good knowing that there are people on this site like you.

Return to “Parent to Parent”