Anybody deal with infertility problems and panic disorder?

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:39 am

Harlow - I posted earlier - but yes I am now 6 weeks pregnant following IVF. I take Citalopram (not sure what the brand name is in USA) - it doesn't stop the panic attacks though. I also have Klonopin. Any psychiatrist says to keep taking the meds. I"ve never met anyone who says to come off meds when pregnant at any stage.
Anyway - I am borderline agoraphobic and don't know how I'm going to cope with being pg.
Love Mumpy

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:43 am

Hi again Rowan,
Last pg - I saw a top psychiatrist in Boston - and she had no problem with me taking maximum dosage of Zoloft and also taking up to 3mg of Klonopin a day. Do not stop taking the meds after 8 weeks - it's a big mistake (I say this from my own experience).
In short - I have panic attacks and anxiety all the time - and I successfully did IVF and got pregnant (and that was with citalopram and klonopin). I am now 6 weeks pregnant.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:57 pm

I have dealt with infertility. Looking back, I think that's where my anxiety began. It is such a long ordeal and so many ups and downs.
I wasn't treating for anxiety at the time. I'm just starting the program now. Although I am no expert, I wanted to pass on to you what ended up being my problem just in case it could help. I ended up having to do IVF for all three of my kids (twins and a single). I was with a reproductive endocrinologist. I ended up being tested for antibodies. I believe there is possibly 7 of them. You can do some searches on the internet to find out more. Anyway, I tested positive for anti-thyroid antibody. My thyroid tested as if it was working, but I had so much anti-thyroid antibodies in my system I could not get pregnant on my own. Antibodies can also cause miscarriage. I only came across this info through a friend, and I insisted I be tested going into the IVF. I had one, and the RE said the IVF wouldn't have worked if I hadn't been treated for it.

Hope it helps. Hang in there.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:17 pm

before i saw this web site, i was in tears praying that god would show me some clue as why i have not become pregnant yet, and asking him to to help me and my husband.

KDlady

Post by KDlady » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:02 pm

I went through IVF six and ahalf years ago. I had not validated my anxiety and depression at that time, but did struggle with different fears. I made myself focus on the steps I needed to take and continued working as well. I was lucky to have a friend that had resently completed the process and she was a big help when I began to worry. I didn't have panic attaches, but just alot of negaive self talk and
"what if" thinking. I felt the shots I was taking altered my mood as well. I tried to distract myself and remember the goal....at least one healthy baby. I actually was pregnant with tripletets which delighted me and put my husband on the worry path. Ha! Ha! He was very committed, however, and worked extra hard when I had to quit my job at 16 weeks and was put on bedrest. The babies came premature at 27 weeks, which put them in the NICU immediately. We had two boys and a girl. They were so precious but all were very sick and weren't likely to live. I held on to
my hope and prayed. The two boys did go to be with our heavenly Father, but He left me the most beautiful little girl. She has been the joy of our lives. Four years later, once I got a bit past the self blame I began to realize that I needed help. I began talking to a Christian Therapist which then led to a Woman's Christian Thereapy Group. It was then that I began to value myself, I felt God's love for me and that was the turning point. I began this program back in October and I'm work on my twelth week. I remember when I first saw the comercial for this program and felt that God was nudging me to move forward. This has been difficult, of course, but I am getting stronger. My thoughts are my own and I can change them and so can you. It will take time!
Be very good to yourself, after all, that is truly what we all need. God will do the rest.
Be open to his nudges and let yourself receive His love. I know that He has all of us here on this Earth for a reason. We are creative, intellegent people and we will succeed. Wow! I sound like Lucinda! I am a firm believer in this program. I do have bad days/nights still, but I know how to get through them. I pray you get to see yourself through God's eyes and start to believe that you are meant for so much happiness. Keep your eyes on the goal...God Bless You!

Return to “Parent to Parent”