Any other stay at home moms ready to lose their mind!

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
4boysmom

Post by 4boysmom » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:16 am

I can relate to ALL of you! I have four beautiful boys, ages 3, 5, 6, & 8. Next week starts school and I have mixed feelings actually. 3 will be in school and my 3 yr old will be in preschool 3 days a week. I should be excited, but I have mixed feelings about the yougest being gone. Kris10, what you wrote partciularly hit a nerve with me. I feel the same exact way as you (even the irritating IBS thing!} Another stress for me lately is that a few days ago I felt a lump in my breast and I have an apt. tomorrow, but I'm so worried I'll have a panic attack at the dr's, or have an IBS moment. Anyone have any words of encouragement???? I'm in week 3 of the tapes.

shimdan

Post by shimdan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:37 pm

4boysmom
I will keep you in prayer and remember what you have learned from the program so far.Please keep us updated.

fear not

Post by fear not » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:18 am

Shelly9,Hello!I just want you to know that I know how you feel.I was in the same boat as you are now not even a year ago.I have 4 kids.Three of them live with me.My older son is 19 so he doesn't live with us anymore.I used to have agoraphobia so bad that I would be the one too just sitting home while my husband took the kids places.I would cry because this agoraphobia had such a hold on me and it was robbing me of not only being able to have fun but also of making any good memories with my family.At one point I could not even leave my front porch!I know that the symptoms are intense.You have to push through and trough baby steps start taking your life back.I say this because it really is the only way to overcome it.I'm now able to leave my house and go into public places that at one time I literally felt like I had to hang on to things(shelves in stores or carts)to even be able to make it through the stores!NO!You don't have to live like that!When I really started to realize this I was on my way to recovery.It's not easy at first but it's definately true that the more you push yourself to face the fear and feelings the easier it does get.I'm not over this completely but I have made tremendous progress!Pray and give all your fears to God and then trust that He will take care of you!I can help you and be good support when you decide that it's time to stop letting all those feelings control you.I could use support too.If you want PM me.Take care and take that one more step further than the 4 minutes.You will begin to see how we do this to ourselves and it will all start to make sense.

4boysmom

Post by 4boysmom » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:46 pm

Thank you Shimdam, I needed that. The dr. couldnt feel anything abnormal so I need to go for a sonogram but I feel much better, thank you. Definately needed 1/2 a zanax to get thru it though. I so badly want to just read and watch all the videos and workbook without stopping to learn everthing as fast as possible! Just want to feel like a copetant mom, school is starting next week and am so nervous about having to drive everyday!!! I barenly went anywhere this summer since I just started the program at the beginning of this month. It's definately helping so far.

My Path to Peace

Post by My Path to Peace » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:22 pm

I'd like to jump in on this conversation about stay at home moms and anxiety. I lost my job a couple of months ago and now I'm at home with my two sons and it is a LOT harder for me as far as anxiety. I think my job helped me distract myself so well that my anxiety was pretty minimal. Now I feel bored and my sense of self-worth has gone down - but that's only because I've told myself negative things like "I'm not doing important work any more"... well, of course thoughts like that will make me feel bad. I know raising my kids is important but for some reason I attach my self esteem to my work outside the home. I wish I could change this! Any advice out there? (Also, my anxiety has gotten worse now that they went back to school and I worry I will "go crazy" from panic being home alone).

bevhembree

Post by bevhembree » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:56 am

My path to peace,
We've had that same conversation here a dozen times. I loved working, but suspect it was a way to hide from my disorder.
Since I stay at home now, we are working on balance- me time, adult time, home time, volunteer time, etc. It has helped a bunch to get involved.
P.S. Mine is almost 2 and I already dread being here alone when she starts school. I'm going to go with her I think. I'm sure they can always use teacher's aides and substitutes.
"Here and happy because of my three little angels- Marie, Chad and Cady."

michelle72

Post by michelle72 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:20 am

i too stay at home...it's a struggle..my son' has down's syndrome and is not into doing much social stuff at all..he is a home body besides when he goes to school. we raely go out and do anything as a family anymore..my son is just not into very crowed places...and it's very hard for me to get out and do anything with him by myself...he can be stubborn sometimes..and weighs more then i do..so i always have to have someone with me when going out or just stay home.my oldest son who is 18 now was my help that gave me and my husband abreak is nolonger in the home with us so we r usually home 24/7 me anyways..my husband works thru the wk..but me i'm here so much i think maybe that's y i have so much aniexty..never get a break any more it seems....school starts back soon and my son will start to school..now i have the fear of trying to drive him there and back..and the being by myself..my hubby can't stay home with me forever..we have bills that gotta be paid u know...i just pray and ask God to help me thru this everyday

Tracy D

Post by Tracy D » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:46 am

How do I not get so angry with the kids? I have four: 9, 6, 3 and 5 mos. They just don't listen to me. The two in the middle are my hardest ones. They are boys and full of pi** and vinegar. I feel my anxiety really makes me have a short fuse. I get to stay home but suffer from almost total isolation. I call my husband when things get stressful, but how much does he understand when he deals with adults all day. I hate the kind of mother I am being to my kids. That is my motivation for committing to the program. I am barely through my first week. It ws great to read all of the posts before mine from other mothers. There are very loving times each day, but the initial getting home from school and having snacks and dinner just takes me 0 to 60.I am aware of it and trying to plan ahead to make it an easier transition. Thanks for listening.

Stressed Momma

Post by Stressed Momma » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:54 am

I'm a stay at home, work at home mom. and every day I feel like loosing my mind. But just remember the good Lord is with you. Hand over your burdens to him and he will take the pressure off you. And let you get things bk under control.

little ol' me

Post by little ol' me » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi, I'm bipolar, a stay at home mom, AND I home school four kids ages 9,7,4,and 20 mos. Yah. Need I say more? Okay, here's more...I live 15 minutes from the closest store which is smaller than the main floor of my house and is located in a town with less than 1000 people in it. HELP ME!!!! I too, have anger issues. I'm a very dedicated, loving mother, but I go through phases where I feel like I just can't handle one more kid touching me, talking to me, asking me questions, needing a diaper change, or nose wiped, or FOOD, let alone trying to educate and nurture them. That's when I turn on the TV and escape to my room with the relaxation CD! I really hope this program helps me learn how to diffuse the anger. I have a tendency to snap and freak out at my kids and end up scaring them all half to death! We SO need to get out more. Once a week we meet with a ton of our HS friends (30 min drive) IF I'm not freaking out about trying to leave the house. I hate anxiety. Oh, did I mention that we're currently snowed in? LOL

Return to “Parent to Parent”