Starting my 10 year old daughter on program

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
baby_g

Post by baby_g » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:04 am

Any progress?
~No one can make you feel inferior without your permission~

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:22 am

HI, I am new to the program. I purchased it in hopes it will help my 10yr old son. He has severe anxiety issues. I am finding it hard to figure out a way to start the program with him. I'm wondering about totally skipping session 1, it seems more an acedemic overview and nothing there really for him to learn from. Any thoughts on getting started with a child?

newrunner

Post by newrunner » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:31 pm

My 11 yr old and 7 yr old both have ADHD and anxiety/panic disorder. One of the main reasons I got this program which I just started today was that I felt if I cant help myself I cant help them. My 11 yr old has been having panic attacks in the classroom in the last few weeks. I'd love to get her involved in this program too. Just not sure if she can get through it without being bored, or it being over her head. I am probably going to push the relaxation tape, she has trouble with sleeping from the ADHD anyway so that may help her with that. I wish you the best and would love to find out from other parents how it is working with their children.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:02 pm

I'm not necessarily working with my children on anxiety, but I know they deal with it sometimes. So while we are going places in the car I play the cds. They just think they have to listen to help me. And I do realize they can't take it all in like I do, I think anything might be helpful to them. I also told my daughter about deep breathing yesterday to keep her calm during a writing test. She is also 10.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:49 am

Well I did make some progress with my 10 yr old. I've started week two and I was talking to her about how they are teaching me to recognize that first anxious feeling, it was just her and I in the car so it was that opportune moment. I told her it starts with the flip flop in the stomach, I glanced at her noticed she was thinking about herself and she said yeh me too mom, so I told her about the relaxation tapes and how they really help when you get that first feeling, asked her if she wanted to listen with me when we get home. Sure. And sure enough she went through it with me. She told me she almost fell asleep. So I told her we can keep doing it together if she would like or she can always listen on her own too. It's a start!!!

Return to “Parent to Parent”