Starting my 10 year old daughter on program

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
nspyredj

Post by nspyredj » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:42 am

I've decided to start my 10 year old daughter on the program. I've been hovering at lesson 3 for more than a month, but feel a strong need to share it with her.

Last year, she started having many panic attacks because of friendship issues and my husband being in Iraq. We have found that she talks well with me and I think this is a good way for us to share in something healthy.

I hope that this goes well, I think it will. Anyone else out there who has a young, pre-teen on the program and what are you doing? -J
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly."

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:33 pm

I just read your message as I tried this chat forum for the first time. I mainly checked out this program on a trial basis for my 13 year old daughter. She's only been minimally interested, but I'm listening to the CDs myself to see how I can help her. She tried the relaxation tape once, but hasn't been willing to do more with it. I was hoping for more specifics with someone her age, but may have to keep trying. If you're still checking this site and want to give each other ideas, let me know. My daughter has had at least one severe panic attack, but mainly struggles with ongoing anxiousness. She's also working with a therapist, and takes a low dose of zoloft, which both are improving her ability to cope.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:20 pm

Hi to the both of you, I have a 14 year old son I am trying to get involved with out any luck, he seems to be suffering from depression and is very negative persnality. I hope he didn't get it from me. I'm in session 3 also and making progress.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:43 pm

My 11 year old brother has started having panic attacks. He is the sweetest kid, but such a negative thinker. I play my cd's when he is in the car. He seems to understand some of it, but I worry if a lot of it will just be over his head or too adult of an issue for him to identify with. Maybe we should all band together on here to find out what works. I suggest anyone who hasn't finished the program to do so before sharing it with a child. That way you could help guide them better. Also, you are not going to feel like you have session 3 under your belt right away. It took you a long time to get to this point and you have to be patient about when you will feel "on top of things." Move along with the program as it instructs. It was put together this way for a reason. You can always go back & listen to session 3, but keep on moving forward. Even if you don't feel you are ready to move on. Trust the program, you are! :D

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks all- You are right about me getting through so I can help her. She watched the beginning video and didn't really focus too much. It was too long and was over her head as well. I know she wants to get better but I don't think I can help her well if I can't do it myself first.

Thanks again for all your help and comments. -J

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:51 pm

It was good to see a few more comments from others hoping to find help for teenagers/ children we care about. My 13 year old is managing Ok, but I still wish there was a version of these tapes that was more youth appropriate. I not only have 2 daughters who have experienced challenges with anxiety(and the older one suffered from depression, too), I also work as a middle school counselor. Not much is out there to provide as resources for other families dealing with anxiety. It is probably the topic I deal with more than any others with middle schoolers and their parents these days. Plus, it is one of the most painful situations to see our loved ones go through. Counseling/therapy is something I always recommend, but it so difficult to get in to see someone. I like the approach of having something every day, since most people only see a counselor 1x/week or even monthly. I'm still debating on investing in this program or figuring out a way to branch off to find something to work with younger people.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:00 am

Hi all,

I have an 11 year old son who I think would benifit from the program. He has very complicated issues, I will ask his counselor when I get the chance and report back to you all as to his opinion. Have a great day!

JC

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:01 pm

Hello-

I am noticing some tendencies in some of my kids, too. I have ordered books from <A HREF="http://www.freespiritpublishing.com" TARGET=_blank>www.freespiritpublishing.com</A> that talk about these issues at various age levels. Maybe that would help some of you.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 pm

I felt good when i seen your posting because i have a son who is 13 and for years he has struggled with this just lie me and i did not want to put him on meds and i havent but he shows all the signs of anxiety and depression like i do and i am sharing this program with him to. I am excited because to finally be able to identify and deal with this is remarkable and i know this program has saved both of our lives. I pray that you have continued success and i believe this is one of top best things we can do for our children.

baby_g

Post by baby_g » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:04 am

Any progress?
~No one can make you feel inferior without your permission~

Return to “Parent to Parent”