stress related to disrespectful teenage daughter

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks so much to everyone, I feel very safe ever since I posted this message.WOW! I feel like I have the family support I've been longing for.Don't get me wrong I have a great family but sometimes I hold back how I feel because I am afraid of their overreaction. I had a great talk with my daughter and told how I feel when she is short with me, It was tender and I truely beleive we can build off of this.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:33 am

maddog I'm replying late to this, but wanted to say that I am so happy that you and your daughter were able to talk and that will lead to a more positive relationship for you both. Teens are tough. I would take back the terrible twos in a heartbeat some days. My oldest also has defiance and conduct disorder along with his ADHD so it seemed he was never happy unless the entire house was in turmoil. I remember the first time he bowed his chest up to me and asked what are you going to do? It was a long road from about 14 to 17, I wondered too if I would make it through. We both did.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:16 pm

hi i'm 17 and although i have never been overtly disrespectful myself, my older stepsister(19) is very much so first and foremost do not hurt yourself, do not kill youself, even if she is overtly rude your daughter needs you helthy and alive, i dont no how to hlep your daughter but i wish you the best of luck
karlie

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:54 am

Maddog -

You have some really good advice here in this forum. There are some really good people who have been through the VERY same things as you. Take their advice on use their experience in your situation. The common theme is that it DOES get better when the teens grow out of the phase they are in. Take heart and know that EVERYTHING is part of the growing process of life.

A couple of recommendations for you from me:

- Get in therapy with and without your daughter. Therapists deal with these situations ALL the time. That is what they do. You are NORMAL.

- Get a book called "Boundaries" by Henry Cloud. It will help you define the healthy boundaries that are necessarry in your life...with your daughter and others. One of the best books I've ever read!

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:54 am

Oh my...didn't realize this was posted back in Feb 09. My apologies for replying to an old topic... ooops!

Return to “Parent to Parent”