Time Management??

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
TrinityMN

Post by TrinityMN » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:31 am

I have a almost 4 year old with and he is very, very active... when he is not in preschool, I go exercise, but I am having trouble finding time to listen to the audio, do the guidebook, etc. How are some of you other parents doing 'time management'.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:57 pm

I bought a portable CD player so I could listen to the CDs while I made dinner, or cleaned, or while I exercised. When I listened to the CD the first time, I tried to do it after my kids were asleep, so I could give it my full focus, but then the other times during that week I would listen to it in the car when I was alone in small segments over the course of the week. By the end of the week I was able to listen to it two or three more times this way. The relaxation CD was tougher...sometimes I would go listen to it in another room while my kids watched TV.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:48 am

I listen to the relaxation tape at night, and I have time to and from day care to listen to the tapes in the car. Never at home. I also have a 4 year old, and there isn't enough time in the day. But, there is time to be anxious and worry. If I need time alone, sometimes I can get my husband to give me 10 minutes with the relaxation tape, but this doesn't happen often. Sorry no new advice.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:24 am

I listen to the session tapes in the car. I also put the sessions and the relaxtion on my ipod. When I am doing my stretching after working out, I play the relaxation tape. It works. I also listen to the sessions on my ipod when my husband is driving, just lay my head back and listen. I am not so good about finding time to just lay down and do the full relaxation tape

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:34 am

Hi,

I'm the stay at home parent of a 4 1/2 months old baby. I agree that this is a lot and a bit stressfull right now. Between all there is to do, I defenitely stress about doing all the work or if I'm doing it ok. Sometimes I'd like a break from fixing myself on top of taking care of others. But I guess this is the real challenge, reorganizing the schedule and priorities. I do the tapes in bed 1st thing in morning and at night, during bath instead of shower, in car. And I think that if it takes me more than 1 week to do a session at some point, it will be ok, the tapes will still be there the next day. We don't have to be perfect at it, just doing it is perfect.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:31 pm

I'm single dad of a 6yo, and she's with me all but a day or two a month. Work full-time, too, and from the time we get home until bedtime, it's one thing after another and another, finishing up today and getting ready for tomorrow. Can't go 10 minutes without "Dad?" (It's happened 2x so far during this post!) There is no way in the world that I could devote the time that this seems to demand. So, I just do the best I can with what I've got, I lower my expectations of her, me and everybody around me, I drop all the shoulds, etc. I listen to the CDs in the car, takes 2-3 days to get through it once. I can't get the time to do the relaxation, but I do the breathing 10-12 times a day. AND the really really neat thing is that today, four weeks into the program, somebody at work said "gee, you've been great all week." I guess as long as you're doing something to improve your anti-anxiety skills, you're making progress. I think if we give ourselves permission to do the best we can, instead of demanding we do the best that is humanly possible, we'll make great progress.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:02 pm

My husband bought me a tiny nano Ipod and I downloaded all of the tapes. I listen to them through out the day ie. cleaning, park with the baby etc... They are attached to me at all times. When I drive I bring the DVD's and listen to them whenever possible. I also, wake up a couple of hours early before my 2.5 year old. I take a walk with my Ipod and do stretches. Doing things at the last minute would always bring me to an anxiety attack. I try very hard to acknowledge what my true priorites are for my day and get those done first. The rest of the stuff can wait. Hope this helps.... :D

Boon

Post by Boon » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:18 am

Thank you for all your advice! I ended up putting stuff on my Ipod and it does help. I'm getting 15 minutes doses...due to the kiddies...but it's better than nothing!
Thanks again!
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:56 pm

Hi there, I'm totally with you on that. I work 4 days/week, have a 4yr old(not in preschool) and a very active 17mos old. The week is busy enough without trying to fit some time in for the program. When I am at home with the kids, I try to catch up on housework, etc and spending time with the kids. I feel guilty if I'm doing anything else, especially for me. I do listen to the tapes on my way to work, which is great. I really struggle with the rest of the work, action assgnts, etc, esp the relaxation tape. I listen to it before bed and I end up falling asleep before it ends. When I go over the action assignments for the week, I get stressed thinking, how am I possibly going to be able to do all of this or apply all of this? I also seem to spend alot more than a week on a lesson. But I guess we have to keep at it and telling ourselves that we are giving it all we can. The balancing act is difficult - any more advice!!!

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:35 am

Hi PHF, I also have the audio tapes and find it hard to listen to them along with relaxation cd, so my question to you is, how exactly did you download the tapes so you can now listen to them on your ipod? Did you download off a site or some other method? I'm not very technologically savy. I think if I had them on an ipod it would help me out alot. Can you comment . . .

Return to “Parent to Parent”