empty nest

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
evon313

Post by evon313 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:12 pm

i believe i got depressed after my only child went away to school. are there any other empty nesters out there. did your anxiety increase?

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:39 pm

Evon.
Your children leaving home is definitely a change of life. I already had anxiety when my kids left home. But it was just another change i had to face. And it is sad, and yet it is also a challenge in a way.
You get to find out who you are now! What you like, and rediscover Life! Try and look forward to it, greet empty nest as a new start.
Your daughter will always be your daughter, and now your relationship will also be on a different level hopefully. That of maybe not only mom but a great friendship... Take care Nelly:)

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:10 pm

When my daughter went to college, I started a daycare. When my son went to college I got a kitten. I think I wanted little ones since they left. My daughter now has been married 3 yrs. I've wanted grandkids what seems like forever. My son made a nasty remark yest. and when I confronted him today he made comments about me buying things for my future grandchildren. I have some of those things for when this little guy (now 3) comes who we've gotten attached to. I don't see what business it is of his if those things make me happy. Right now is very difficult as my husband and I are both struggling with relationships with our kids. I ordered Joyce Meyer's CDs on relationships today cuz somehow it needs to get straightened out. My son-in-law came over today and had a good talk with me and also went to my husband at his job so you know he thought it was serious. I'm actually thinking I'm not ready to be a Grandma and God knows the right timing. My son-in-law said my kids are proud of me getting a job (thanks to the program helping me) and he told me I needed a hobby. I really couldn't think of anything other than liking to go out to eat (not the greatest since working at a bakery and gaining weight). We're busy cleaning out my mother-in-laws apartment and it's a rush job and all our snow hasn't helped. Tonite we were trying to decide what to do with her organ. The Lord has given me some songs lately and I've thought many times to learn to play keyboard. Oh, how I wish I could play by ear. Maybe this could become a hobby if I could ever have time enough to have a hobby.

So in rambling like I am, I say all the above to get you thinking about finding your real self like Nelly said. I enjoy making new friends on here and always wanted to type e-mails but usually friends send the funny forwards and I'm wanting real conversations so I do enjoy this. I guess this could be my hobby in a way. Helping people. Nelly is very good at it and I think in a way in may be a hobby to her. Is it Nelly?. Some people in the past criicized you for being on here so much but if you enjoy it and enjoy helping people, what's wrong with that. So evon313 as far as anxiety increasing as an empty nester, I was looking for something. Wanted to fill the empty nest so I filled it with little kids. It was fun for a while (about a year). My daughter did help and took off a semester to get some money which I was basically working for free and paying her. Are you really close to your child? How far away is he or she? Can you bake cookies and send them or encouraging notes? What kinds of things do you like to do? I'm actually having much more anxiety right now with my kids. My daughter is in real estate trying to sell our home, my son and I don't get along and I found out from my son-in-law that him and my daughter told my son he is ADD like me and may also be bi-polar. He said he thinks my son blames me and that's why we don't get along? Isn't that nice? Now that causes anxiety for me!! Sorry for rambling. I came home and took a Lorazepam. Please tell us more about yourself evon. Will look forward to hearing back from you on here. PM me if you'd like.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:49 pm

Evon'
My heart goes out to you as I am an empty nester also this year. Both my kids are now in college and it can be really sad at first but then it becomes a journey that for me only gets better. At first I filled my days with updating photo albums , making childhood collages of them, cleaning out closets and drawers that were long overdue, writing more letters, and all kinds of "busy" things to help fill the extra time available since they are gone. Now,I'm also retired and I try to get together with friends more for lunch, do more research on the computer, plan special dinners for my hubby - trying out new, fun recipes, and have just signed up for a computer class that I always wanted to take. Thank God I completed the program this past Fall and that is something else I fill my time with. I still listen to the tapes every day and enjoy the constant encouragement and positive reinforcement that they provide.
Look forward to this new phase in your life and fill your days with people and activities that YOU enjoy or have wanted to do before but did not have the time for or maybe the energy for since kids - let's face it - they take up a lot of time and energy. Worth it, but nonetheless they do. I find that my kids enjoy hearing about my new projects and outings and it helps them to feel better about me being without them. I also search around for new cards to send to them and make up care packages on a regular basis and we all enjoy these - giving and receiving.
So anyway, the anxiety lessens with time, especially when you look at the situation in positive way. Take care and hugs to you. Cindy

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:54 pm

Originally posted by evon313:
i believe i got depressed after my only child went away to school. are there any other empty nesters out there. did your anxiety increase?
I know this is a old thread sorry.

This something we will have to face soon 2 1/2 years and it is already tearing me up.I long for the days when they were younger and I had plenty of time with them.

Return to “Parent to Parent”