Depressed Son Needs Help

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
HelpMyTeen

Post by HelpMyTeen » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Parent of a teen son with anxiety & depression here. Brief background: He sees a Psych, is on meds for anxiety, depression, and insomnia but as parents, we don't see that they're helping much (and between his Dad and me, I don't approve of the drugs, his Dad does, we agreed to let him try them). He cuts himself, smokes, drinks (not with our permission), has OD'd once on OTC drugs, and has been arrested for marijuana which he bought in an attempt to self medicate because the Rx's weren't working. I don't own the program and am always skeptical of anything I see on TV where they don't give you enough details about exactly what it is you're buying BEFORE you fork out the money. I'm wondering how a program (such as this) can be "catch-all" enough to work for all age groups. The psychological needs of a teen versus an adult are vastly different (IMHO) and I'd like some other parents' input here as to just what this program is, how has it helped your son or daughter, and how is it different from the hundreds of thousands of other (fee for service) self-help programs out there? Is this just another "you are special; love yourself!" program? Is there a religious agenda? (I heard several people in the TV ad make references to religion). My son is very bright intellectually and has highly developed "BS radar" which makes him inordinately difficult to help. He sees right through people (illusions, hypocrisy, dishonesty, myths, etc) like ground penetrating radar and will shut you out in the blink of an eye if he detects any of the above. Very jaded young man, angry, hopeless, sees no point or purpose to his life.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:14 am

Dear Parent of teen:
It sounds like that you need to get the program for yourself firt and work on your own mistrust.

My heart breaks for you, your husband and your son.

But there is hope! Sometimes it surly does take Divine Intervention.

Perhaps you should keep reading here on tihs forum. You will see that there are genuine
people here who care and who have learned how to live without so much pain.

Sometimes, our "high intelect" gets in the way,
A simplistic faith is preferable.

I highly recomend this program for yourself.
And then for your son.
MJ

Crave

Post by Crave » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:23 am

I struggled with anxiety and depression for 25 years - I'm 37 years. This program has saved my life. I was just as skeptical as you. I also truly believe that the skills taught in this program would have worked just as well for me if I had practiced them 25 years ago. We are really not all that different. Sure, I was immature and lacked a bit of the wisdom that I have now (much of which I have the program to thank for), but I was surely smart enough then to be able to benefit from these skills. I just wish someone had shown me this sooner!!!

It seems like your son is very skeptical. I wonder where he learned that? Be careful what you practice - practice makes perfect. :)

Peace.

John

TDub

Post by TDub » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Dear Parent of Teen: I agree with the other posts here. I just recently started the program; and I can assure you it is not some simplistic "love yourself" or religious program. It is taking you step by step through what causes such feelings and solutions to getting through them and being able to regain control over them so that they don't control your life. Would definitely recommend the program--for both you AND your son.

Chels343343

Post by Chels343343 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:05 am

I just posted this on another parents' concern, but I am 22 and I still found use in a site for teens with anxiety. I learned about it a few weeks ago, also started in the Stress, called Anxiety In Teens. This may be a more appropriate crowd for him: Anxiety In Teens

Stoic

Post by Stoic » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:50 am

What is your son's diagnosis?

Donald W. Sautter

Post by Donald W. Sautter » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:57 am

Help your teen
I didn't have any body to help me except the Lord Jesus. If things get real bad you can cry out to the Lord Jesus. Me, I didn't eat for seven days and was not about to eat anymore for the rest of my life or care for myself anymore, I gave up living, and only then the Lord came into my heart in the size of a golf ball. Roads are not easy to walk in this world but there is the Almigthy God who can fix anybody.
To be fixed by the Lord Jesus, just pick up your King James Version Holy Bible and start reading.
Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of My righteousness.
Start reading the Bible every spare minute you have and never stop. If you refuse to retain the knowledge of the Lord God in your life, you will have a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient. Romans 1:28
You will be ashamed and confounded Isaiah 41:11
Salvation is no joke, life depends on the courage to change into a sober minded person knowing you have salvation.
Tears for Jesus Ministry
Last edited by Donald W. Sautter on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Parent to Parent”